AT&T Unlock for Already Unlocked 01.59.00 5.01 iPhone4

mrknowitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I have an iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 baseband 01.59.00 (I think that's the baseband it shipped with the day it was released). It is currently unlocked and jailbroken. I will be out of contract in a few weeks. I was thinking about upgrading to 5.1.1 and letting the baseband update this time (previously I have always preserved my baseband and followed the dev team methods). Is there anything I will lose by upgrading the baseband, jailbreaking, and then having AT&T unlock me in 3 weeks?

Thanks!

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
A real factory unlock supplied by AT&T trumps any "unlockable" baseband that requires ultrasn0w to function.

I wonder if Apple will ever require the newest baseband to work with newer firmwares, firmly shutting the door on all this unlocking?

Comment

mrknowitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
A real factory unlock supplied by AT&T trumps any "unlockable" baseband that requires ultrasn0w to function.

I wonder if Apple will ever require the newest baseband to work with newer firmwares, firmly shutting the door on all this unlocking?
Once AT&T unlocks the phone it will forever be unlocked, no matter what I do?

Comment

mrknowitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Thanks so much guys. Will let my iPhone update baseband tonight for the first time 4 years.

Comment

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can probably call AT&T today and ask them to unlock it. It never hurts to ask. Then you can update to 5.1.1 in a couple days once AT&T emails you to say the unlock is complete.

Even better, I would back up your phone and then restore to 5.1.1 so you can see that sweet "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" message.

Comment

mrknowitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
You can probably call AT&T today and ask them to unlock it. It never hurts to ask. Then you can update to 5.1.1 in a couple days once AT&T emails you to say the unlock is complete.

Even better, I would back up your phone and then restore to 5.1.1 so you can see that sweet "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" message.
They told me to wait until my contract expires :(

Comment

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
You don't even need to call them. I just logged into the account for the iphone and then when into chat. I provided the phone number and imei and they said no you gotta wait another month. Very convenient! I hate talking to the AT&T script readers on the phone.

Comment

mrknowitall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
So I ended up upgrading to 5.1.1 without updating my baseband. Will AT&T be able to unlock me if my baseband is 01.59.00?

Comment

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

They already do as of iOS 4.2.1, but limera1n allows them to bypass that.

Comment

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
Similar Q....

I have a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 4 that I use on Tmobile. It has 5.0.1 and the baseband is 1.59.

I know pretty much nothing about unlocking and jailbreaking aside from that I need these things and that I have to stay on 1.59 in order to have them. Since I am clueless about this I'm always scared I'm going to accidentally update my phone and ruin it for myself!!

My assumption is that the best thing I can do is get At&T to unlock it, then my worries will be gone right? I am pretty sure this is a really dumb question but is there any reason I should NOT do this? Is there any benefit to staying on 1.59? I don't use any apps that are not from apple, so my only interest in having the phone jailbroken is to maintain my current unlock. Just want to confirm before I talk to At&t.

Also, if I do get them to unlock it, is there any way I can mess anything up by restoring once they let me know its unlocked? Or is it pretty much foolproof? Sorry to be so paranoid I just don't want to lose my my iPhone capability!!

Thanks.

Comment