AT&T Unlock iPhone4 Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bomb617, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Bomb617 macrumors member

I chated with an ATT rep couple days ago regarding unlocking my wife's old iPhone4 and she told me it's unlock and send me a procedure on how to unlock (restore as new from iTune...bah bah bah). After the restore completed on iTune, I never go the "unlock" message (It was there when I unlock mine iPnone4 couple months ago from ATT).

I perform another restore with no unlock message again. I check with couple IMEI checker site and both said "locked"

I finally pull out a micro SIMS that I used last year when I was in Italy (no longer active but WAS activated last year as pre-paid) and it has signal but said no service. Does that mean "unlocked" or I have to pop in an active micro SIMS and have signal to confirm?

2. mainomega macrumors 6502

The weird thing for me is that I called ATT and they unlocked it. I checked dev.mk and it should the phone unlocked.

Today I get an e-mail from ATT responding back to my web submitted request. I check dev.mk and it now shows as locked. I already sold the phone so I hope dev.mk is wrong.

3. Bomb617 thread starter macrumors member

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I can't answer the exact question you asked, but here is what you can do:
    1. Go into a T-Mobile Store near you and get a Pay As You Go MicroSim.
    2. Activate it and put something like $10 on it- that's 30 minutes worth of calling.
    3. Take out your AT&T SIM, insert the T-Mob one.
    4. When you re-start, if your phone is unlocked from AT&T, you should get the 'Welcome to T-Mobile' screen and your phone should say T-Mobile in the upper left hand corner where it now says AT&T.
    5. Use up your 30 minutes making calls and be done with worrying about it.
    Then you will know for sure whether it is unlocked or not.

5. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

do you guys know how believable is the dev.mk IMEI checker?

I have my AT&T 16gb black iphone 5 with 2 years of contract and when I put in the IMEI # in the IMEI Checker it says that the phone is Unlocked :eek:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some of these imei check sites are veru unreliable.
    I wouldnt trust them 100%.