Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Hi guys, I was trying to unlock and was denied and I want to know if it's a mistake or the customer service rep was really right.

The device I want to unlock is the iPhone 5S that is replaced by the 6+. I got the 5S with a two year contract in the past but only used it for 1 year and did a "cross upgrade" to get the iPhone 6+.

So now I can't unlock the 5S?

Sorry it's a bit confusing.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi guys, I was trying to unlock and was denied and I want to know if it's a mistake or the customer service rep was really right.

The device I want to unlock is the iPhone 5S that is replaced by the 6+. I got the 5S with a two year contract in the past but only used it for 1 year and did a "cross upgrade" to get the iPhone 6+.

No.
The 5S is still under contract on your line.
Just because you are using another lines updated phone doesn't mean your 2 year obligation to your main line is void or over.
Its pretty simple.
You gotta wait till your lines 2 year contract is fulfilled to unlock that 5S that is bought under contract with your phone number.
This 6 Plus is under contract with that other line that upgraded and that other line now has a 2 year contract even though you are using that phone on your line now.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown

Applejuice is correct. ATT sucks. Call them and ask them IF you paid off the 5S, will they unlock it? I doubt it but hope for the best. You might just be better off selling it as "ATT locked" online and let someone else on ATT buy it.

wesselya

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
I hate paying for stuff that's free but worst case scenario just pay $40 and get swiftunlock to do it for you.

One think I hate doing MORE than paying for stuff that's free is begging ATT to do something for me.

They make something simple complex. They do not think outside the box when it comes to unlocking.

That's what keeps swift unlock in business :)

I don't not work for SWIFT BTW . I have just had 20 phones unlocked with him. Most of them were when it cost $2. I did have 1 unlocked at $45 :(

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
No.
The 5S is still under contract on your line.
Just because you are using another lines updated phone doesn't mean your 2 year obligation to your main line is void or over.
Its pretty simple.
You gotta wait till your lines 2 year contract is fulfilled to unlock that 5S that is bought under contract with your phone number.
This 6 Plus is under contract with that other line that upgraded and that other line now has a 2 year contract even though you are using that phone on your line now.

Applejuice is correct. ATT sucks. Call them and ask them IF you paid off the 5S, will they unlock it? I doubt it but hope for the best. You might just be better off selling it as "ATT locked" online and let someone else on ATT buy it.

I hate paying for stuff that's free but worst case scenario just pay $40 and get swiftunlock to do it for you.

One think I hate doing MORE than paying for stuff that's free is begging ATT to do something for me.

They make something simple complex. They do not think outside the box when it comes to unlocking.

That's what keeps swift unlock in business :)

I don't not work for SWIFT BTW . I have just had 20 phones unlocked with him. Most of them were when it cost $2. I did have 1 unlocked at $45 :(

Thanks guys for the fast answers. Ya it does suck :/
I guess I am going to sell the 5S as locked.
Thanks for calling out swiftunlock. I am going to use that maybe. But it says: This service DOES NOT SUPPORT lost/stolen/unpaid/ in contract iphones. Success rate is 40% with this service.

karin037

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
At&t unlocked my 5s. I waited 14 days from when I received my iPhone 6 plus. I filled out At&t's unlock request form online. They approved the unlock. I had tried prior to the 14 days, and I was denied. You have to have the new phone for 14 days. After that, your request should be approved.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
At&t unlocked my 5s. I waited 14 days from when I received my iPhone 6 plus. I filled out At&t's unlock request form online. They approved the unlock. I had tried prior to the 14 days, and I was denied. You have to have the new phone for 14 days. After that, your request should be approved.

Did you not read anything above?
He did an upgrade swap and used another lines upgrade to get the iphone 6.
His 5S contract hasn't expired yet and is not eligible to be unlocked.

ShaolinSteez

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011

As long as you're continuing your contract with the new phone, they will unlock your 5s.

Edit: nvm, didn't see that the OP used another line to upgrade.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I know your situation was different from the OP, but how long after you submitted the request, the second time, did it take ATT to confirm you were unlocked?

libu

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014

If willing to pay and AT&T not willing to accomodate, AT&T iPhone unlocks can be done for $40 from an unlock service like http://www.iphoneunlockguys.com or http://www.swiftunlocks.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.