AT&T unlock, this is different case.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klo-mac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. klo-mac macrumors member

Hi,

The reason why I'm creating a new thread is because I didn't found a answer for my particular case.

Ok this is the story:
    I purchased brand new iPhone 4 on eBay, it's AT&T locked and I use Gevey sim to make it work with my vodafone card (I live in Europe) everything work fine, except I can't update to ios 5 (which I need ios 5 to sync with my iPad and iMac cloud)( right now I have 4.3.5)

Can someone suggest me what to do?

I never restored it through iTunes, or updated it. I don't own a AT&T card.

Thanks

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There really isn't anything you can do without an ATT account...

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to be an AT&T customer in good standing.

4. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

get pwnagetool, create a custom .ipsw and update it pointing to cydia servers and it wont update its baseband

you will need iOS5.01 shsh blobs for this tho

5. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I don't prefet to jailbreak my iPhone. Will stay on ios 4 untill Gevey sim produce another chip for iOS 5

6. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Update the phone to iOS 5.1 while preserving the baseband as described here:
    http://www.coolestguyplanet.net/upg...-to-ios-5-and-preserve-baseband-with-redsn0w/

You'll be on 5.1 with the 4.10.01 baseband that came with your 4.3.5 firmware, which will still be Gevey-unlockable.

And klo-mac, what ninjaw95 suggested to you doesn't require a jailbreak at all; however his method probably isn't possible for you. Just update to 5.1.

7. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

okay here is a thread going on like this! i bought an iphone 4 from ebay! and its locked to AT&T! my brother is AT&T user can he get it unlocked??

8. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

9. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

Yes I see, so I can install iOS 5 with preserved baseband and use Gevey sim to unlock it, not needed jailbreak.

Is risk after activation to ask for AT&T sim card? (which I don't own)

10. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Redsn0w can 'hacktivate' your phone. :) so you don't need an official AT&T SIM card.

11. satchow macrumors 6502

Just go to AT&T's website (att.com) and choose live chat. Explain to them your situation and if they're nice, they'll go and verify that the phone is off contract and will unlock it for you. Then you'll have a definitive answer.

12. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

That will be great, but after I spend a hour to chat with live agent was not successful since I don't have any AT&T account (I can create one, but in end will ask for AT&T phone number and etc which I don't have)

Thanks anyway

13. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

thats for 4s, and ya, a custom .ipsw is jailbroken

14. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I'm not sure and I have not much courage to try to update iPhone to iOS 5 with preserved baseband.

I see many people did, and was successful, but many other now have iPod touch, and not iPhone since they didn't preceded to keep iOS 4 and updated to iOS 5.

Will stay on iOS 4.3.5 until iPhone 5 comes out, and next time will buy unlocked iPhone.

Thanks guys for all answers.