AT&T Used a different line for Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steemax, Sep 20, 2012.

1. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

Hey all, I know this has been asked around already, but here's some info I thought wouldn't hurt to share.

When I pre-ordered from Apple (12:05AM PST) I used a different line since my line didn't have an upgrade eligiblity. So I went to my local AT&T store the other day to ask what needs to be done to properly activate the phone on my number. The rep told me I would need to bring it in store, they would activate the phone with the other number first then transfer the phone to my line. I asked if I can just do it over the phone, but he said it can't be done, I'd have to bring it in...

This is such a bummer having to deal with the crazy frenzy that will be taking place tomorrow at the ATT store. Anyone have anymore information on this matter?

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

AT&T support chat told me I can call and they can do it over the phone or via chat

3. steemax thread starter macrumors regular

steemax

Damn, I hope so! I'll try doing this before walking into madness.

4. scotsmith0718 macrumors newbie

Not so...

To my knowledge (based on other posts on MacRumors, info from ATT's website - http://www.att.com/esupport/iphoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S and 2 online support chats) this is not true. Everything I am seeing says that you can do the upgrade swap over the phone.

5. RSully macrumors member

I keep seeing this posted, and I really want to believe it. It makes sense and it sounds easy. But one thing that I keep thinking is that this AT&T policy is just that, a policy for AT&T and phones ordered through them.

At least when I got my iPhone 4 (purchased through apple.com) the AT&T rep told me that Apple was forcing activation on the line purchased on and I wonder if that is actually still the case.

Now I have read posts from people saying they have been successful doing it over the phone in the past (iPhone 4S) and so maybe things have changed.