AT&T users: success in lowering monthly bill when contract expires?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
hey guys, my contract with at&t is going to end soon. has anyone encountered situations where at&t lowered future billing rates (permanently rather than X months) to try to retain you? i have 4 lines and 3 lines are expiring next month. the 4th line is expiring at the end of the year.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
This works with Comcast, call them up and tell them you're thinking about changing to a different phone provider because their price are too high, then ask if they could lower the price so they can keep you as a customer.

Works with comcast all the time, might work with ATT.

edit: This is of course a temporary thing but try to see if they'll do it for your whole contract time then repeat process next contract.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Tell them you're considering switching to Sprint because of the unlimited data while you're at it for two reasons:

They will lower/give you a discount to keep you
They will see that more customers want unlimited data plans.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Tell them you're considering switching to Sprint because of the unlimited data while you're at it for two reasons:

They will lower/give you a discount to keep you
They will see that more customers want unlimited data plans.
They know customers want them. They never want to offer them again.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
The only thing they will do is allow you to switch to no longer plans or features.

I was able to switch to a 300 minute plan with roll over (29.99 and has 500 n&w and unlimited M2M) and the $10 - 1000 text feature plan for being out of contract. Combined with my existing unlimited data it made a fairly nice plan, consider I don't talk much.

Got my bill down to $61 / month after taxes and FAN discount which works for me.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It depends on who you talk to. If you get a good and helpfull customer rep you might get lucky.
Most wont do it and will just help you choosing a lower/cheaper plan.
Dont count on AT&T giving stuff for free.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
the most they will do is maybe give you a 20-22 percent discount. which is basically the same everyone gets who has a FAN acccount/employee discounts. IF you don't have that already of course. Past that I have no idea

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
The only thing they will do is allow you to switch to no longer plans or features.

I was able to switch to a 300 minute plan with roll over (29.99 and has 500 n&w and unlimited M2M) and the $10 - 1000 text feature plan for being out of contract. Combined with my existing unlimited data it made a fairly nice plan, consider I don't talk much.

Got my bill down to $61 / month after taxes and FAN discount which works for me.
How did you get this? Did you say you wanted to leave ATT?

Stewie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Well, it'll be hard for them to deal with that when customers start threatening to switch to Sprint.
No one with any sense would switch to sprint. Their 3G speeds are a joke and will regret every day you switch to them.

Unless you don't spend much time on the interwebs...

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
No one with any sense would switch to sprint. Their 3G speeds are a joke and will regret every day you switch to them.

Their 4G WiMax speeds are a joke, too, but that's another arguement for someplace else :p

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Till Sprint jumps on the bandwagon and discontinues unlimited data too.
They won't at least not at the moment. Have you seen the latest Sprint commercials? Unlimited data is by far their biggest selling point.

----------

Do you have any studies or anything showing the disparity between their 3G/4G speeds and other corporations?

Stewie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
They won't at least not at the moment. Have you seen the latest Sprint commercials? Unlimited data is by far their biggest selling point.

----------

Do you have any studies or anything showing the disparity between their 3G/4G speeds and other corporations?

That and the 3G network that both sprint and verizon use is slow. The technology they use isn't capable of fast data speeds. I have used both and have experienced it first hand.

Last edited:

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
That and the 3G network that both sprint and verizon use is slow. The technology they use isn't capable of fast data speeds. I have used both and have experienced it first hand.
Well, you have to look at it comparatively as well. Cell phone data in my opinion is still in it's infancy. So I'm ok with accepting slower speeds while the companies develop and roll out new technology as they can.

But I dislike limiting data consumption. It destroys internet businesses like Netflix, who are data heavy. I consider data to be a utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.