AT&T > Verizon Family Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJAKO, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

So I've had my own AT&T account for a few years now while I've had the iPhone. With the rumor of 4G LTE, I plan on switching to my families Verizon family plan.

Anything special I need to do if I preorder to keep my current number? I'm pretty sure I can just use my existing number when I preorder and just select Verizon as my carrier.

That's not my main question though...Will moving to Verizon with a new plan on the family account force that family account into the new tiered data plans?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can use Verizon's shared data plan which looks like it can save you money depending on the data bandwidth selected or you can keep the data separate.

Are you planning on doing this online or going into a VZW store?

I'm debating whether I should try to preorder online and see if it will allow me to switch or if I have to wait until the phone is out.

I can switch carriers now online at apple.com, but I'm not sure if that option will be available for pre-orders.

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

You can add lines to existing family plans without going into the share everything plan. Completely new accounts do not have the option though.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was told by a VZW salesman this weekend, we can either go the family share plan or keep our data plans separate or am I misunderstanding your post.

Its possible that they salesman got his facts wrong (wouldn't be the first time)

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Family Share Plan - Old plan, shared voice/texting, individual data.
    Pros -
    Dumb phones are $10/each.
    Can keep unlimited data on lines that already have it

Share Everything Plan - New family plan, share everything, voice/text/data
    Pros -
    Unlimited voice/text

If you are a new customer, the Family Share Plan doesn't exist for you. You can only do the Share Everything Plan.

If you are an existing customer, you can choose either one still. I am still able to add lines to my Family Share Plan today. I opted not to go with Share Everything to avoid losing an unlimited data line.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^ you're right, I just went online to VZW. The salesman was wrong in what he told me.

Not a huge deal since the share everything plan seemed to be a good deal

7. wongulous, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

wongulous macrumors 6502a

I think the sales guy was right, from what I'm understanding. He may have just thought you were an existing customer like the OP.

You're adding a line to an existing plan... your port is afterward and unrelated. The new additional line would be 10, plus the data package of your choice. Or, you could choose to transition the whole account to Share Everything. In neither scenario will your new line get unlimited, but you could opt to keep unlim data on existing lines not changing... or for many people they find that they save money by pooling data versus having per-line data.

8. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I will force my families plan to go into the share every plan then? If I'm porting my number from ATT to my families Verizon plan.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

No. Your family has a plan with Verizon - they don't have to go to Share Everything. That was my point. Only if you were getting a brand new plan - which you are not - do you have to go into the Share Everything.

10. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.