AT&T vs Global iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NttDocomo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. NttDocomo macrumors member

Hi everyone, read about there's a third version of the iPhone 5 that is for global carrier, wonder if that's available for pre-order or sale within US?

Previously there's a version of the unlocked 4S, wonder if the global version is same as that?

Currently I finished my 2-yr contract with AT&T and do not plan to switch, my major consideration is I frequently travel oversea, if I get the subsidized phone from AT&T, will I be able to use the iPhone 5 oversea with another carrier? Or I should get the global version as the AT&T doesn't have the band supported by oversea carrier.

Essential, is the difference between the AT&T and Global versions is just that the global version is unlocked or it has additional hardware to let it be used with other carriers?

Thank you very much for your comment and help. Have fun with your new iPhone :)

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I assume you are referring to the factory unlocked iPhone which allows you to use any GSM network worldwide. Apple will not be offering those for preorder today, they will most likely roll out 1-2 weeks after launch.

Now, if your out of contract with your At&t line, you could pay full price for a "without a contract" phone through At&t. You can then have At&t unlock it for you to use worldwide. This way, you can preorder it and get it early.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming you are talking about the unlocked iPhone in which case there is no difference between that and the AT&T one except that you don't get the subsidy and it is unlocked from the beginning without you having to wait until your contract is over to get AT&T to unlock it

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

international version has different LTE bands.

If Apple sells the Verizon version factory unlocked, that should be able to work on international LTE (since it has the same bands as the international one in addition to the verizon specific bands)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The AT&T unlocked iphone will work fine with any GSM carrier in the world.
    Its just there's so many different LTE bands worldwide and not even sure what bands will become standard or mostly used by carriers worldwide yet since LTE is not that widespread yet.
    So certain parts of the world like asia, europe, north america will have different LTE bands available for their i5 but all GSM unlocked iphones will still work overseas with GPRS,Edge, 3G and HSPA+.
    So worst thing that could happen with your AT&T unlocked i5 is it wont be able to use certain worldwide carriers LTE frequencies but will still work using 3G for voice and data fine.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Not just certain wordwide carriers. It won't be able to use *any* LTE carriers outside of the US/Canada.

Every iPhone 5 can use the 3g/GSM frequencies worldwide. The Verizon one should be able to use the worldwide LTE frequencies too. So if international use is a priority, that'd be the one to get IMO. Should certainly have better resale

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again, LTE is not widespread at all and most carriers out there either dont offer it, just starting to roll it out or have very small coverage for it.
    So if international use is a priority 99% chances are you will still be able to use it with 3G everywhere.
    Just not use their LTE service.
    Again, how often do you travel international and cant manage without LTE coverage for a few days or weeks away from home? And that's IF where you're travelling to a prepaid carrier or any carrier will even offer LTE service. Something you might need to ask yourself before making a decision.

And I doubt a CDMA locked i5 will have a better resale value than a US GSM unlocked iphone 5.
    Most people still care about 2G, 3G and HSPA+ coverage for now on an unlocked cellphone.
    Maybe in 3-4 years that will change when LTE is everywhere or has replaced 3G.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

How often? Not often at all. But it's a differentiating factor. And I don't assume to know everyone's priorities - there may be those out there whose livelihoods would be greatly enhanced by the extra speed. No reason it should be ignored just because it may not be your priority.

Who said anything about CDMA locked iPhone 5? Verizon has no issue unlocking their iPhones for international use as long as you pay your bill on time. That opens up a huge segment of potential buyers. In my experience, international buyers are generally willing to pay a bit more than local buyers... so having a phone fully compatible with European networks would be an advantage there.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, an advantage there not here:)
    They can't even do talk and pull carrier data at the same time.