AT&T vs. Verizon 4G LTE Market Comparison, July 2012

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Jul 2, 2012.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

2. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

To find AT&T? :D

4. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

It's why I chose Verizon when I first bought my iPhone 4S.

However, it's important to note that AT&T will have higher fall back speed compared to Verizon in LTE-less zones. Also, as of July 2012, 0% of iPhone users have LTE.

Verizon is going to be great for those who live in LTE zones (or travel in between them) and have the next-gen iPhone equipped with LTE. But for now, AT&T wins in terms of speed.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Fall back thing may be true now, but if Verizon holds true on their promise to have LTE covering their existing 3G footprint by the end of 2013, that may not be important.

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You might as well of put AT&Ts HSPA/HSPA+ map into the comparison to make it equal if you're going to include Verizons CDMA coverage.

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

He just used Verizon map as the underlay. Only thing being compared and discussed here is the LTE coverage which are the dots.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm aware of that. My previous post still stands nonetheless.

9. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Sounds like someone who isn't in AT&T LTE coverage. LOL :D

10. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

No, your previous point is moot. Before the image I wrote "Verizon in yellow, AT&T in blue". The red is irrelevant.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah Verizon has the coverage but it comes with a pretty big price if you ask me. Advertising unlimited data plans a year and a half ago and now telling anyone who wants to upgrade they'll loose those plans does not win in my book. Verizon is turning into what AT&T once was. AT&T at least will throttle to 5GB on their unlimited plans when the next iPhone comes out.

Not to mention their new shared data plans really suck. And what's even more funny is that it took people with college degrees to figure all of this out.

AT&T for me!!!

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Yes their new shared data plans suck! But AT&T hasn't announced theirs when they have full intentions on doing the shared data plans. No one know what they are.

It does suck Verizon won't let you keep your unlimited data with a subsided phones, but I had already planned out paying full retail price on them anyways. I bet you will be saying negative things if AT&T did the same exact things. I'd be shocked if they don't treat the unlimited data users the same way as Verizon did.

13. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Verizon and AT&T are the coke and pepsi of the cell phone industry. Just wait for them to play catch up before you cry fowl and pledge loyalty.

14. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

They pretty much already did what they were going to do with their unlimited data users. Throttle at 3GB for 3G and 5GB for LTE.

15. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Verizon had the same intentions and slowly changed that course of action. When a phone company moves their lips, you know they are lying.

16. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Hey whatever makes you sleep better at night. But Verizon throttled their 3G users in the top 5% of a congested tower and then decided to kill their unlimited data plan if you buy a subsided phone. But AT&T won't follow those steps, they are a much better company. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. KJmoon117, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Guys, let's face it.

Both companies pretty much suck balls for their own reasons. We just have to pick and choose which ball to suck. Left nut or right nut. Expensive shared plans with great LTE coverage, or expensive unshared plans with good HSPA+ coverage that's bigger than Verizon's LTE coverage.

Either way you and I are paying $90 a month for something I could've got for less than $20 in South Korea. :p and I'm sure South Korea isn't alone on the fast-lane.

Really the only reason I bought a Verizon 4S is because they unlock the SIM for international use and I'm planning on switching to iP5 since Verizon can't manage to run a decent 3G network in my college town, yet their 4G is blazingly fast. The difference in price is so small right now...

18. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Well until AT&T does do away with the unlimited plans, they win in my book. As of right now, they still allow you to keep them when upgrading. Of course this can change but until they do, I prefer AT&T.

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Looks to me like both Verizon and At&t LTE coverage both suck

20. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

This is going to become redundant so I'll stop it here. I was just pointing out that you might as well of included AT&T's non LTE coverage, too. It wouldn't of been that hard to make another image layer and include their map. REGARDLESS of irrelevant or not.

----------

I'm in the heart of Dallas. I'd like to see you get better AT&T LTE coverage anywhere else considering they're based out of this city.

21. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Very cool, thanks original poster.

Do we have any word on these two points? They will be crucial for me moving away from ATT for the iPhone 5.
    - Can Verizon LTE do voice and data simultaneously?
    - Is AT&T going to allow us to continue grandfathering Unlimited plans to LTE?

22. scott craft macrumors 6502a

In regards to Verizon LTE, yes it can do voice and data simultaneously.

23. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I roll my eyes whenever I hear an at&t commercial stating they have the, "Largest 4G coverage" HSPA+ is not 4G.

24. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Wow, by that map, AT&T has a lot of catching up to do if they're going to match Verizon's LTE coverage by the end of 2013 as they say they are. I'll be switching from AT&T to Verizon this month. AT&T's 3G network sucks pretty bad compared to Verizon in California. Verizon forcing new individual line subscribers onto Share Everything plans is really sleazy though (I pre-ordered before that went into effect.)

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't care about LTE on any carrier. I'd rather not have it in my phone because I don't like the battery life hit. Or at the very least I want to be able to turn it off.

LTE coverage is still very weak compared to HSPA+

As I said in another thread I can drive for two hours in any direction and stay drenched in wonderful HSPA+ service. Not possible with LTE on any carrier. And I prefer the better battery life.