AT&T vs. Verizon 4G LTE Market Comparison, September 2012

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Sep 20, 2012.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

3. Minkz macrumors newbie

4. biggnoggin macrumors member

biggnoggin

Although I still agree verizon has the best LTE network I still think that you can consider Att HSPA+ an advantage over verizon's 3g.

5. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Who made that map? It shows Rochester, NY as having coverage with AT&T and that is not correct.

6. WJKramer macrumors 6502

LTE in PR. AT&T win. At least for me....I do much business travel down there. Also at home as of a week ago in DC suburbs.

7. Tweak3D macrumors regular

I thought it was, they just flipped the switch in many locations the day before yesterday. In Washington State for example, all the Verizon dots and all the AT&T dots should now be the same. I also believe that should be the case with oregon too.

AT&T is launching by Region in a lot of cases so "Seattle" actually included most of western washington including at least a dozen cities across the state.

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I wonder how many Verizon customers wanted to smugly forward this on to their AT&T friends, but couldn't because they were talking on the phone at the time.

9. mac.cali macrumors 65816

At least they can talk on their phones. Lol.

10. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Couldn't care less if its in every city, so long as its in mine! Which it is! AT&T just turned on the Birmingham market this week, so I'm a happy camper :)

11. Link00seven macrumors regular

Exactly. The Metro Detroit launch included as far west as Ann Arbor, which is generally not considered "Metro Detroit" (depends on who you talk to).

12. aristobrat, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

aristobrat macrumors G4

Agreed. I wish someone would do a map that would compare the locations where you're likely to get 5mbps. At the moment, AT&T really wins there.

I also don't know if folks really understand that in the areas Verizon doesn't have LTE, their 3G speeds are insanely slow (compared to AT&T). Having switched both my iPhone and iPad to Verizon last year (after five years on AT&T), it was a real eye-opener for me.

I live in a location where Verizon has had an LTE "dot" for about a year now. The quality of their LTE network here is *nowhere* near the quality of their voice/3G networks here. That's just the nature of the beast, when it comes to rolling out new technology. Ultimately, that means there are times where my Verizon LTE iPad falls over to the Verizon 3G network. That is a >>>horrible<<< experience. Rarely breaks 512kbps around here.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Looks like Philly area is showing at&t LTE coverage. Which, unless they flipped the switch yesterday, is not correct. I know it's coming before years end, but not yet.

14. Tibits macrumors regular

In theory only. Too bad it doesn't translate in real life preformance.:rolleyes:

15. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

The at&t map its not accurate in regards to Puerto Rico. LTE its way more spread here of what it shows.

16. biggnoggin macrumors member

biggnoggin

Well every markey will vary with speeds, signal quality and performance. So I can believe you that perhaps in your area verizon is better. My point was just that if you are comparing just LTE that maps is accurate but if you are comparing HSPA+ and LTE to 3g LTE I think that Att is up there with Verizon.

17. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I won't have LTE at launch it seems, though AT&T has promised LTE in Columbus by the end of the year. I'll have LTE when I visit my parents up in Canton, though (odd that Canton has it, but Columbus...the largest city in Ohio...does not). Luckily, the HSPA+ network in Cbus is pretty good and widespread. I can regularly get 7Mbps in town on HSPA+, so it's not really a big deal. I don't download enormous amounts of data regularly.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That map is largely why I dropped ATT and went with VZW. Where I live, there's way more red dots then blue.

19. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Where I live there are the exact same number red and blue dots: 1. That's all that matters, really.

20. biggnoggin macrumors member

biggnoggin

Most of the towers up north are from the old cingular wireless days which is probably why they decided to start LTE there first, way more ATT towers in Akron, Canton and Cleveland.

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No doubt Verizon is WAY ahead on LTE rollout. But I think (hope) most of this will come down to just network performance by the end of 2013.

As far as I've read.....Verizon plans to have every 3G area upgraded to LTE by mid-2013. Whereas AT&T have stated their LTE deployment covering all 4G areas to be done by the end of 2013.

-Kevin

22. supervelous macrumors 6502

although Verizon clearly wins that, AT&T is covered up where I am in the NYC/RI/CT area...and when I fall back off LTE I will be on HSPA+ or their superior 3G.

In fact, the Northeast usually has good coverage with any carrier for the most part.

I am using an S3 while I wait for my i5 and I am getting 48 down, 15 up at my home and my office with good signal on AT&T LTE. The final test will be this weekend when I'm in Rhode Island, as I travel there at least 2 weekends per month.

23. Alex480 macrumors newbie

24. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i have lte att on my ipad and get 50/25 which is amazing.. but verizon was exactly the same when they first rolled out LTE... att has far less LTE devices/users. Enjoy it while it lasts.

25. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

not true with my experiences with sprint! :mad: