AT&T vs. Verizon 4G service in Portland, OR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ubele, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

My wife and I have been with AT&T since we got our first iPhones in January, 2009. 3G reception was fine until earlier this year, when we started experiencing lots of dropped calls and calls where we can hear the other person, but they can't hear us. In our house in the suburbs, we use to get 4 or 5 bars. Now we get 1, 2, or 3 bars. Reception at our offices in downtown Portland has gotten worse, too. Why this should be, I don't know. We both have the iPhone 4. Some people we've talked with say that their AT&T 3G service has gotten worse, too, while others say it hasn't.

Our current contract runs out at the end of this month, and we're going to upgrade to the iPhone 5. Does anyone have experience with AT&T's 4G service in the Portland area? We're grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan, and I get a 20% discount through work, both of which are incentives to stay with AT&T. On the other hand, if their 4G service is as bad as their 3G service has become, I'd rather pay more for Verizon, assuiming their service is better. We don't use a lot of data, since we're usually near WiFi. Most of our travel is confined to Oregon and Washington, so Verizon's wider national 4G coverage isn't as big a deciding factor as local coverage is.

2. davez0r macrumors newbie

There currently isn't 4G LTE in Portland on AT&T. AT&T said it's coming by the end of 2012 though.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Test drive, I believe Verizon has a test drive program. Also, AT&T's 4G is composed of their upgraded 3.75G (HSPA+) and LTE.

4. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I didn't know about Verizon's test-drive plan. I was surprised at how complicated choosing a carrier has turned out to be. It seemed simpler in 2009, when the general consensus was, "They all suck," but AT&T was the only one where I was able to get a corporate discount.