AT&T vs Verizon: $$$ for data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samiznaetekto, Sep 27, 2012.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It's puzzling to me that when asked "AT&T or Verizon?" (in the U.S.), most people, it seems, would recommend Verizon based on their coverage. But how come nobody mentions that Verizon's data plan is bloody expensive?! Is everyone a millionaire here or what?

Here's my use case: I use voice little (so, AT&T's 450 minutes/month for $40 is more than enough), no or minimal text messages (so I choose AT&T's $0.2/msg), mostly use data (3-5GB/month) with tethering done by iProxy, so I choose AT&T's 3GB/month plan for $30 + $10 per extra GB. Say, for 4GB/mo. total comes to $80 (before fees and all that cr@p).

Same from Verizon would cost me $110 ($40 for "line access" (WTF is that?!) and $70 for 4GB of data).

$110 vs $80 - that's bloody expensive! (with more data usage, the difference is progressively bigger as Verizon charges $15 per extra GB.) In 2 years, this difference comes to the cost of a new *unlocked* iPhone, or an iPad, or 2 iPod touches, or intercontinental flights, etc... Is Verizon really worth it?

2. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon, and it is more expensive mainly because AT&T allows customizing with their old plan. AT&T would charge me $105 (unlimited data on phone 1 and 300MB on phone 2, including corp 18% disc). Verizon is charging me $120 + tax/fee (1GB and including 19% corp disc)

so why would I move to verizon when it is more expensive, plus losing unlimited data? simple: signal.

AT&T signal has trouble penetrating builds. many builds I have been to have no signal. everyday I go to my office building, I have to turn airplane mode on. so the phone is useless most of the day. a headache of having to remember to turn airplane mode on in the morning and off in the afternoon.

cheaper and unlimited data mean nothing when you can't even use the phone due to signal.

I tested verizon IP5 last couple days. any buildings, that AT&T did not have signal, verizon has signal.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

I can understand a case where a man needs a phone to operate where he spends the better part of the day. I don't perpetually work in any one office building and it is periodic at that. My experience with line loss using AT&T in NY skyscrapers is rare. Look at the cost per gig in various scenarios. In my case, Verizon data is expensive in all mean of comparison I arrived at and is hard to justify.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Well AT&T at my house would mean crappy service plus I get a discount through work. I also grouped the phone with a Mifi device so it really only cost me $60 more/month to go with Verizon.

From what I can tell, Verizon is cheaper if you have multiple devices.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, the difference is closer to $10/mo for the most commonly used plan.

6. homerun360 macrumors newbie

You are not able to install a third party tethering app without jail breaking the phone. Right now iOS 6 can't be jailbroken. Verizon is $5 more a month for me considering I would have to add tethering to the ATT plan.

7. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Agree 100%, that is why we switched to Verizon.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I was with Verizon for about a year and a couple months ago I switched to Straight Talk. Since I coming back into the post paid contract mode, I compared prices between AT&T & Verizon. I get discounts from both via my company. However, AT&T was far cheaper for me to go with. I have had AT&T service in the past, and I never encountered any issues with them. So I had no problem going back with them. Don't get me wrong, I really liked VZW, but their plans are expensive and I would be forced to go with a share everything plan when I would just be activating a single line.

9. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

10. jeblis macrumors regular

Verizon certainly has the best LTE coverage by far and if you don't have AT&T LTE coverage at home the choice is clear. But when you're outside of LTE areas AT&T has better fall back data rates. AT&T's 3g and "4g" both are much faster than Verizon's 3g. In my case I have AT&T LTE in my home area so the extra $15 a month for Verizon ($180/year) is definitely not worth it.

11. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Coincidentally, I'm an iOS developer, so I simply downloaded iProxy's source code, compiled it to both iPhone 4 and 5, and voila! Tethering for $30 for 3GB/mo. for unlimited devices (although one of them must be a Mac to "host" a WiFi network).

12. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

AT&T LTE map can't be true - I just bought iPhone 5 in Portland, Oregon and excellent LTE was not only in the city itself, but for many miles east as I drove along Columbia River Gorge. I was impressed.

Ironically, the AT&T store I bought it from, had only Edge inside. Are they sitting in Faraday cage or something? :D

13. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

While I agree Verizon has more LTE coverage that map for AT&T is outdated... I know for a fact Portland, OR has LTE and nothing is listed on that map for it.