AT&T vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SCMedic, Sep 13, 2012.

1. SCMedic macrumors regular

Just need some thoughts. I know you're all probably tired of the threads.

Currently an AT&T customer. Have 2 lines. Both are apparently now not early upgrade eligible. Looking at $650 a phone ($1300 total - $600 for the sale of our old phones).

AT&T does not offer LTE in Denver. I have also had coverage issues at my house in the last month with them. Early term is $200 a line ($400). Highly considering switching to VZW. Great LTE coverage and Facetime over cellular. Looking at $199 a phone and the early term fees from AT&T. Cheaper to go this route, but rate plane is approx $10 more a month with my work discount.

Thoughts either way? I know someone will say "don't upgrade and wait". :)

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It comes down to whether $10/month is worth better coverage and LTE for you.

Not the most helpful answer admittedly. :D

But I can honestly say that probably my number one reason for upgrading to the iPhone 5 is LTE service, so if the AT&T LTE service in my area wasn't good, I would jump ship.

3. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

It is absolutely worth it. Denver is on the "later this year" list for AT&T LTE, but the fact that in the last month I can suddenly not make calls from my house after years of no issue, is annoying.

The only downside to leaving AT&T is that I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I'd say go with VZW, the CDMA version seems to support more bands, on both CDMA and GSM??

About the unlimited data, I don't get it. Here in Europe I get unlimited everything for $30/month

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Go to the AT&T website and check your usage. Are you actually using your data to the extent that unlimited is actually worth it?

Without making any assumptions about who you are, I've found most people fall into one of two categories.

1) They are, for whatever reason, using their AT&T 3G data like a home modem and constantly streaming video to it; or

2) They're actually using around 1-2 GB a month (or less!) and would likely break even/come out cheaper if they switched to a set plan.

6. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

I average 1gb a month. The wife averages 5gb. lol

7. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

Ugh, $400 ETF is tough. Remember that AT&T's 4G HSPA+ is significantly faster than Verizon's 4G coverage, so whenever you go out of LTE range you're going to wish you were on AT&T. Just buy i5 for AT&T and wait for them to roll out LTE. If AT&T says LTE by end of year, dude it's already September just sit on your i5 for 2 months and save $400!

8. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

I know they said the end of the year, and I've been highly considering that. More out of pocket to stay and then we can hope that the LTE coverage is better than the 3G that currently doesn't call out or drops calls left and right.