AT&T vs VZ 4G LTE consideration - VZ has 200+ 4G LTE Markets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aka777, Mar 14, 2012.

1. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Something to consider when choosing between the AT&T or VZ LTE iPad.

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/14/verizon-aims-to-double-4g-coverage/

2. redman042 macrumors 68020

I thought about that, but went with AT&T. Why?

- Even in the covered cities, there will be lots of coverage holes until the tech matures.
    - Without LTE, you'll fall back to existing 3G, and for 3G AT&T is massively faster than Verizon (around 5 mbps vs 1.5 mbps on an iPhone 4/4s or iPad 2/3)

3. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I wanted to stay with ATT, but I only get their Edge and Old data networks. Maybe in a couple of years it'll go to 4G. Verizon is pretty much saturated and they have the most coverage in my area.

4. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

the vz connection made more sense, 4g+ wifi to use when not using 4g. I wont want 3g. It'll be like using dialup after using high speed.

5. Torq macrumors regular

It was a pretty easy consideration for me.

Despite living in an area with Verizon LTE coverage (Seattle area) it is unavailable almost everywhere I would want to use my iPad that didn't have WiFi coverage anyway. I know this from using an HTC Thunderbolt as a secondary phone/hotspot.

For everywhere else I would wind up being on Verizon 3G which is close to useless around here. I'd rather AT&T 3G/HSPA+ performance pretty much everywhere than LTE in a few places and being saddled with Verizon's 3G in most places.

I'm seeing about 5Mb/s on my iPhone 4S vs. about 300-700Kbs on Verizon 3G. Given that Verizon LTE is good for about 8Mb/s outside of some very specific spots here (I got a 20Mb/s peak once) my average data rates are still going to be much higher with AT&T than on Verizon.

If that changes ... I'll just buy another one.

6. randymac88 macrumors regular

Anyone have any idea how far out the signals reach outside of these markets? I plan on being in Vero Beach, Florida in a few weeks - about 100 miles north of West Palm Beach, which has LTE coverage. Any chance we'll have LTE in Vero?

7. rman726 macrumors 6502

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage has a pretty good map showing where the coverage spots are and the extended coverage spots are. You have to enter in an address that has LTE to show it, otherwise, the default map that you can click on without an address tells you basically nothing.

8. Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

In Arizona, AT&T only has 3G in the PHX, Tucson, and Flagstaff areas. They are Edge everywhere else in the state. VZW has 3G everywhere you have coverage, with LTE in Phx and Tucson. Even though AT&T 3G may be faster than EVDO, having EVDO in more places, even if slightly slower, outweighs having AT&T 3G in very limited areas in the state. This is why I've gone with VZW on my last iPad and this one.

Your state mileage may vary!

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

In Hawaii, there is no AT&T LTE and it's not announced to be coming anytime soon. Also, during any normal times of congestion (both rush hours, when anything exciting or weather-related happens) AT&T data almost completely cuts off. I'm going Verizon this time around. The 3G may be slower but it's much more reliable, and the LTE will be really fun.

10. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

VZW 4G LTE coverage is on the map where I live, but I have yet to connect to 4G LTE in my house. It is very spotty for being one of the cities that supposed to have VZW 4G LTE coverage. I own a VZW 4G LTE mifi that I use with my iPad 2... and had VZW mifi's since they first came out with the 3G version. Verizon 3G is slow, but I generally have a signal when I travel, but the thing that annoys me is the lag time when 4G switches to 3G... and the other way around. That's when I pull out my AT&T iPhone to check email and browse till it switches. I don't mind using my AT&T iPhone while I'm waiting... since my AT&T 3G is pretty fast. Sometimes I just turn off my mifi if it's switching to 3G... since VZW 3G is slower. That's one of the nice things of having data from 2 different providers.:)

11. Xscapes, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

Xscapes macrumors regular

I chose Verizon because it covered most of the mid and east coast. I live in NYC, Verizon covered it all. And Verizon offer free personal hotspot.

Oh, and Verizon had the right plan that fits me.

1GB $20

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Living and always being within metro LA, choosing between LA and VZW isn't really a big deal. I have both a 4G LTE hotspot fro AT&T and VZW and I can achieve 20MBps from the same areas. However, I am hoping that AT&T will offer free hotspot with the new iPad to compete with VZW's. Or else I can always use my hotspots.

13. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Don't forget.

Verizon will double: 400 Markets by years End!

14. dell who? macrumors member

I love how this thread poses a question AND argues for one side with just the title. Biased much? Work for Verizon much too? If not, you should call them and apply.

Every carrier has good and bad traits, just the same as every carrier has areas with great reception and areas that don't get a single bar. I always tell my customers to consider where their travels take them and make a decision accordingly. TV ads, friend/family recommendations, posts in a forum (lol), none of these things really matter when you're making this decision. Verizon could have the fastest 4G in the freakin' universe, but if you don't get reception where you need to use it then what difference does it make?

15. Xscapes macrumors regular

Agree, who ever stuck with whether AT&T or Verizon are good, just go to their site and check the place that you often use data and see the coverage difference.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

From a coverage standpoint, this is great advice.

The plans are kind of annoying in that they flipflop which is cheaper based on what you use.

The wildcard is what happens if/when one or the other offers shared data later in the year. A bit easier to take advantage if your ipad is on the same carrier as your phone service.... :D But of course no telling if this will happen or when.

17. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Then Verizon is the better choice.

I don't have LTE available where i live for ATT, but do for Verizon. I went with ATT again, though, because I currently have an unlimited plan with my 1st generation. And until LTE is available, the HSPA+ available here is still faster than what I currently get. If it hadn't been for my plan, though, I probably would have gone verizon.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I live in one of those solid red areas and had two Verizon Thunderbolts. LTE coverge SUCKED! When it worked, it was lightning fast. But more often than not it would continuously cycle between 3G and 4G, making it unusable. And reverting to 3G was painfully slow. My AT&T iPad was a lot faster and reliable. Several calls to Verizon tech support were fruitless. I dumped the Bolts for AT&T iPhones and couldn't be happier with HSPA.

19. note235 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I live in seattle, where are places without lte? I ordered one for my mom
    And if lte is bad we might swap it out

20. AR15MBP macrumors regular

check this out

http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/02/at-tests-show-blistering-speeds-up-to-40mbps/

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1745108-AT-amp-T-LTE-Service-in-Phoenix-AZ

21. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Noticed this on howard forums using VZ LTE

[​IMG]

----------

This is true.

For myself, I found that even though AT&T advertises HSPA+, I was only ever able to reach speed close to 5MB at around 3am. During the day it hovers at between 0.2MB to 1.3MB DL and is practically useless during peak hour.

22. Scottyee macrumors regular

The burning iPad decision: Verizon or AT&T

Checkout this informative article on this very subject,
    which appeared in the Sacramento Bee Newspaper today, written by Jonathan Takiff of the Philadelphia Daily News

The burning iPad decision: Verizon or AT&T, Jonathan Takiff (Philadelphia Daily News)

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If wireless can be THIS fast, why can't DSL be faster than 6 Mbps or so?

25. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

And I make this counterpoint:
    - Any connection and Verizon's 3G speeds is better than no connection when AT&T's towers are overloaded.