AT&T vs VZW Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smf72, Feb 8, 2011.

?

Which iPhone Has Better Battery Life

1. Verizon iPhone

40.0%
  2. AT&T iPhone

60.0%
  1. smf72 macrumors member

I have both phones and have noticed that the iphone 4 (VZW) drains a LOT quicker. They are setup with same apps and settings etc.......

Anyone else have observations?

2. diegoesk macrumors regular

i dont have the viphone yet. but I remember with my att iphone, after about a week the battery life improved drastically.

3. svenn macrumors 6502

The verizon is so new, I would think the battery is not even broken in yet. I would give it a while for it to equalize before comparing. Also take into account how old the ATT battery is; it could have lost some of its charge capacity depending on its age.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I've owned many of the similar AT&T and Verizon phones in the past, RAZRs, Blackberry's and now the iPhone - in each instance, the AT&T phones or GSM phones for that matter always have better battery life. This is a known trade-off if you're going to CDMA, better network but requires more umph.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I'm guessing about 0.01% of users have both so it would be pretty damn hard to compare.

6. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

If it is different, I doubt its that much of a change.

7. thatshellacool macrumors newbie

I second that. It took at least a good week before I started seeing more reliable battery levels and maximum usage time on my iPhone 4 on AT&T. Run it down and fully recharge it a couple times and take it from there.

8. -MRB macrumors 6502

Correct me if I am wrong here, but aren't they both the exact same phone?

So why would an iPhone using a Verizon sim have a better battery life than an iPhone using an AT&T sim?

9. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I would like to know as well-also agree with those who say to wait a week til the battery is used a bit before comparing.

10. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

so far my VZ phone holds a charge better, but it is a little newer than my current ATT phone by probably 4 months....

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

These iPhone OCD threads are so launch day 2007 and 2008 and 2009 and 2010.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

People also tend to play a lot more with a new toy.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Other variables include signal strength in your local area. One phone may work harder then another. How much data are you using initially. How old is your ATT iPhone vs. the new VZW iphone. Batteries perform differently as they age.

I think if the OP received a large population to his poll then perhaps some of those variables would shake out, and he can produce a mean on which we can see who's battery performs better but given the limit availability of the VZW iPhone and given that it was only available to current VZW customers shrink the available pool.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is absurd. The phone batteries are the same.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're the same but its possible one technology (cdma vs. gsm) may be more effecient. I suspect that if there is any difference its negligible though. Any differences noticed can be explained by other factors as I noted in my earlier post.

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You can continue to disbelieve, but Google around. You'll see on apples/apples, CDMA will always have a worse battery life since the it is constantly connected/transmitter active vs GSM that is on a need to use basis.

17. kdarling, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Depends on whether you're talking 2G or 3G.

GSM added a CDMA radio type for 3G.

Moreover, it's Wideband CDMA, meaning it can pass more data, meaning it uses a higher clock rate, which in theory means it should use more battery than EVDO.

18. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

this right here

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

This is the most ridiculous poll ever on Macrumors.

20. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I purposely kept my AT&T iPhone 4 online and activated when I ordered my Verizon iPhone 4, just so that I could compare them and keep the best one.

I heavily rely on my iPhone throughout the day since I travel so much. Already being a customer of both carriers it's been easy to make this happen.

I find that the nature of a GSM phone (just as I had read about) is that they draw less current when not being used for data. Thus the advantage of GSM.

So far in the few days that I've had my Verizon iPhone along with my AT&T phone on the road with me, the difference is more than I anticipated. My AT&T phone (which is actually the one I was hoping to get rid of) gets about 40% longer battery life.

Yet the Verizon phone has the better antenna.

However since I've never had any issues with AT&T's phone service with my previous BlackBerry's or Samsung Blackjacks, the dropped call issues do seem to be the iPhone not AT&T's network.

And I'm not defending AT&T, frankly I don't give a rip about any carrier. Verizon is just as bad from a standpoint of cost.

So in the end, I'm still testing but it's not looking good in favor of the Verizon phone.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Understandable of course, but the mAh is the same. I cannot believe that the difference due to network technology is going to be so noticeable that it warrants this doomsday thread.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, the vtards are winning the race to the bottom.

23. Pomeless macrumors regular

I've been playing around a lot with mine. :D And... my office is in Château d'If! I've always had crappy battery life on my phones down here. I never been with AT&T that I could compare but the d'If would likely not even permit a call.

A little less "Cut the Rope" and a little more work and I think I'll extend my battery just fine.

24. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Let the battery condition for a week or two. The battery will need time to stabilize its charge life and for the phone to calibrate the battery meter correctly.

CMDA phones do tend to use a bit more battery power than GSM equivalents, but not that much more. Let the battery "mature" a bit, then compare. It's far too new to make a conclusion yet.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I thought AT&T would be worse cause of higher latency.