AT&T vs VZW ** help me out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Six8, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

I'm seriously thinking about ditching sprint. Horrendous data speeds and no signal in my home are killing me.

What I know is AT&T has good 4G here in Stuart FL. VZW has LTE. I've used AT&T's 4G and its plenty fast for my needs so LTE isn't a must. I will be using a share plan with 4 phones and will probably use the 4 or 6gb plan.

Is it worth the extra money for LTE with VZW? How does the customer service compare? Does AT&T still drop calls?

I travel to Orlando often, how are the networks there? All input and advice is appreciated!

Here's the speeds with sprint in my office. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349360648.340832.jpg

I've seen 4-6 down with AT&T 4G. Big difference lol

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is relative, only you can determine if VZW provides a better network in your location to use them instead of ATT.

I'd say go with VZW because they do have LTE in your location instead of ATT's slower service.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

and if you travel, they have lte in more places. 75% of the population in the us.
    ATTs LTE is faster currently.. but thats only due to them having way less LTE devices on their current network. When verizon first rolled out LTE the speeds were exactly the same.

4. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

VZw LTE market is bigger?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Night and day, just head over to both sites and see
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

It also depends on the spectrum that AT&T used in a certain region. In the Los Angeles region, AT&T used 10MHz compared to Verizon's 22MHz (20Mhz used)

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Bigger, with the caveat being that when you're NOT on Verizon's LTE network, you're back on their 3G network, which is similar in speed to Sprint's 3G network.

Verizon has had LTE in my market for a year now. If you're near a LTE tower here, you get smoking speeds. But since they didn't put LTE on all of their towers in this market, there are many areas that only get 2-3 bars of LTE coverage, which leads to speeds that aren't as fast as AT&T's 4G network is here. And there are even a few areas here where there's no Verizon LTE coverage. This is in the middle of the market, not on the outlying edges.

Because Verizon's LTE performance is so inconsistent in this market, and the fact their 3G network speeds are so horrible (for someone used to AT&T 4G), I paid an ETF to Verizon and went with AT&T for my iPhone 5 (and they don't even have LTE here yet).

I assume that when AT&T puts LTE in this market, it's going to initially be just as incomplete as Verizon's LTE is, but at least if I turn off LTE with AT&T here, I know I fall back to their very solid 4G network. That I can handle. I can't STAND Verizon's 3G network (which is what I'd get if I turned off LTE here).

8. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i feel that, fortunate for me i live in austin, and verizon has done a lot of upgrades here due to sxsw.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

http://www.rootmetrics.com/check-coverage/

I'm biased towards Verizon.

11. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah its wayyy off in my area too. haha. it has data as poor.. and i have full service with 30 mpbs

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think you need to figure out exactly what you are looking for. Both your needs and your wants.
    Then measure them all out. Afterwards you should have your answer. No one here can tell you which is better for you and your needs.

I'm in Dallas. Here (in general), AT&T makes Verizon look like they're using tin cans and a string. But elsewhere, I'm sure its different.
    Get what you want that best fits your needs.

14. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I switched from Sprint to At&t and Im very happy, but all comes down to what works the best for you. In my case, I knew how was the reception at work and for home I invited friends with Verizon/At&t iPhones to my house and test the service. Unfortunately with Verizon I had 0 reception at my house and living in NY that something really weird... on the other hand At&t was full signal.

When it comes down to internet connectivity if AT&T HSPA+ is available almost everywhere you go then AT&T is a no brainier. If you dont then Verizon is the way to go, their LTE coverage is way better.

15. dmlv macrumors newbie

I am fortunate to have both AT&T and Verizon LTE phones. VZW is a work line...AT&T personal.
    Bottom line it comes down to where you live/work, and travel (i know obvious). One thing I have noticed is that I have had AT&T LTE in my area for months and they have not even promoted or advertised it yet. I naturally compare the two and I literally receive more ATT LTE signal than I do Verizon....and Verizon touts it on billboards and commercials all over the Providence Metro.

AT&T's own coverage map shows future LTE (green dots), but like Providence, many might be turned without consumers even knowing. If you are in or around a major metro, go to an AT&T Corp store and check the demo phones/devices before making a final decision.

Attached Files:

16. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Unfortunately we can't decide if 4G LTE is "worth" it to you. I will say for me it is, being able to have 25-45 Mbps down is a huge advantage for me on vzw

17. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

4g seems good enough but I have not experienced LTE

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well what do you use your phone for on a regular basis?

19. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

Calls. Texting. Email. YouTube. Web. Tapatalk. Autoguide. Killing zombies. Etc.

20. opmisk macrumors member

Too me, having LTE with a limited data plan is like owning an Indy car but limiting it to a half mile oval. You have all the speed you want but nowhere to use it.

That said, i just switched from ATT unlimited to a Verizon share plan and I'm honestly not sure I made the right decision. I have LTE in my area and it's fast, but I'm not sure I'll realize the benefits of that speed. With ATT 3G, i'd regularly get 2-4 Mb down and 1-2 Mb up. That was 3G, and for the most part was sufficient when I wasn't in range of public WiFi. Comparatively with Verizon, when I drop to 3G, it's borderline unusable. Verizon 3G is awful. I haven't traveled yet with the new phone, but i'm concerned that in areas without LTE, i'm going to be screwed.

21. Lloyd50 macrumors member

Verizon has a very aggressive LTE deployment strategy in place meaning coverage will literally be everywhere in the US soon. And being able to add a sim from any gsm carrier is a big plus for the Verizon iphone. I will be traveling abroad soon, using a att sim with a international data and voice package in my unlocked Verizon iphone. In my opinion you can't lose with Verizon.

22. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

Is it possible to use my sprint iPhone on VZW or AT&T?

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yeah, better find this out first otherwise it would be moot point.

Getting conflicting posts even though iPhone has both GSM and CDMA radios, once u sign up with a carrier, the other radio is disabled, permanently?

24. Six8 thread starter macrumors 65816

Six8

Would be nice but no biggie. Ill just sell the 5