AT&T waiving the upgrade fee plus texting plan for 6 months to stay...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Sep 13, 2012.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

just called to see if i could cancel my plan im out of contract. Ive had service with them for 4 years and they said they could give me 20$ texting plan for free for 6 months and no upgrade fee. Then after the 6 months are up my unlimited texting plan will only be 10 a month. can keep my unlimited data plan too. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
    anybody thinking about upgrading should do the same unless they dont like saving a little bit of cash.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Should have told them you would take the deal if they went ahead and gave you a pre order.

3. takasugi macrumors regular

I called AT&T last week to ask about LTE service in Minneapolis and I got the same deal (except for no upgrade fee since I wasn't buying a phone) - didn't complain, didn't ask for anything other than if they knew when it would be available. Sounds like something they are giving out to anyone to keep them on AT&T.

4. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

We have 2 lines on our family plan the main line is ineligble for a upgrade as it is still under contract. However the 2nd lines contract is over and I was wondering if that line can be dropped from the family plan with no penalty? If so I'll contact them about leaving as well

5. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i would of but i have 400$ in gift cards to the apple store. so ill order tonight with those.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You might want to save those gift cards to buy new cables, plugs, bumpers, etc.

LOL!

7. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

8. NttDocomo macrumors member

Hi just wonder no upgrade fee means you still pay $199 or $0 for the new phone? I got my iPhone 4 when it first released so my contracted is over for two months, now I wonder if they would do anything extra to retend... as I am seriously considering switching to Verizon with iPhone 5

thanks for any help or comment

9. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i still pay the upgrade fee of 399$(64gig) but they waved the 36$ fee. you can try calling them to see if they will wave it he seemed fine with it all no i dont think i can do anything just offered those things straight away.

10. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I'm on a live chat right now, they said they would have to connect me to the sales department that doesn't have a link on the live chat page. This is odd considering the other people I talked to from the same department automatically shut me down. This is also the first chat where I went at it as a 'noob' with smiley faces, 'lol's, and playing it dumb. Hopefully I'll get somewhere...

11. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I can't get to live chat. All I see is international care and data support live chat, the rest are unavailable. Are you in either of those?

12. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

texting? I didn't think we had to pay for texting since like 2008. #unlimitedplans

13. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I've heard some say they got AT&T retentions to agree to make you eligible for a standard upgrade after just 1 year, if you renew your contract now. This means that you can get another phone after one year at the discounted rate.

Anyone successful with that?

14. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Refresh like crazy! Like every 20 seconds. The options go in and out of availability. Probably because it's so late.

I'm talking to one girl right now but she sounds uneducated and resistant. Ugh. I can't go through this crap all night. I would call but it's so late.

15. acarney macrumors 6502

Um... If you buy from apple do they still charge that $36 upgrade fee? I don't think I paid that on my 4S when I ordered it...

I think you might have just got free texting for six months.... Still a nice free extra though!

16. bijju macrumors member

17. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Got through. They said they don't have the power to move dates or credit anything and I will have to call. :(

18. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Ughhh, really? The sales girl I was just talking to was useless, I'm back on the other chat and am going to see what this girl says. Really don't feel like calling... my option is to either pre-order on a line that is eligible for an upgrade but do an upgrade swap, or pre-order on my line and call them tomorrow about having a credit put on. No way am I calling tonight.

19. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I was just told by a rep that AT&T offers discounts to 'loyal customers' and that if I call tomorrow, after preordering, they'll apply the credit. I'm just going to preorder tonight and call tomorrow. If they deny me a credit, I'll just tell them that Mandy from their live chat promised me a credit if I called :p $250 extra is too much when I'm already paying $200 a month!

Then again... I could just do an upgrade swap with a line that is eligible for an upgrade and end up charging less to my card. A credit will still leave a $450+ charge on my card even though my AT&T account would be $250 paid off. I'll need to weigh my options.

20. Bako-MacAddict, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I just called AT&T just now and told them I've been a loyal customer with no late payments since 2003. And they just added credit for 36 dollars on my account ! Simple as that ...:D :apple:

21. acarney macrumors 6502

Again, when buying from apple (a contract phone) do you get billed on your next AT&T bill an upgrade fee? I don't think I did with 4S...

22. luisn17 macrumors member

bump.

Any other people had success not paying the 36 bucks. The 36 bucks can cover paying for the new lighting adapter we will all need

23. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

I plan to buy two phones and I got them to waive both upgrade fees.

24. zaxdude macrumors regular

I was offered the waiver. The rep said she placed notes in the account that the fee would be waived. She stated I needed to call back once I purchased the new phone so the credit could be applied.