AT&T, what an amazing 4G, 4G LTE network!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlockEight88, Jul 9, 2013.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

So i had some trouble with the iphone 5 a couple months ago. Anyway, picked another one up last week and I really got to experience AT&T's data network. WOW, I am totally blown away. I was in Miami over the weekend and I was getting around 40mbps down on SpeedTest.net. It was very consistent, and I never once saw "4G" which I learned is fake 4G.

So today I am in Houston for business and my speedtest just topped out at like 62mbps. WOW. The lowest I am getting is around 40mbps. My buddy who is on Verizon was not getting anything past 10mbps on LTE. His pings where also a lot higher than mine. Call quality seemed a lot better with AT&T too.

Of course none of this means squat with my 5GB plan, but boy I don't think another network can deliver speeds like that. Very, very satisfied AT&T user.

They also dominiate Chicago and its suburbs too.

Check out my speedtests...

[​IMG] LTE turned off

[​IMG]

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

That's AT&T, but you have to pay the high price. I don't get such speeds on t-mobile, I pay less. I wish t-mobile had those crazy fast LTE data speeds.

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Give it another year or so and AT&T's network will be congested like Verizon's.

4. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

T-Mobile is nice where eh have coverage but even then it's spotty. I found them to be very inconsistent. With an AWS phone, and in a good coverage area it would switch to EDGE with the cell site in view. The pings on their HSPA+ network also were all over the place.

Hopefully they upgrade all their EDGE only towers. While I'd rather save money, I'd also pay a tad bit more to have a better network experience.

5. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

And this is where Sprint will shine. :D

6. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

Not if its properly maintained. Verizon just cares about putting LTE everywhere. While that's great, they also have to maintain it also. If AT&T's 4G LTE network does get congested, the user can simply turn LTE off and use the H+ network. With speeds from 5-10mbps who needs LTE killing the battery?

7. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Omg. Another 'AT&T is better than Verizon thread'. Give it time as someone else said and you feel the congestion after awhile. Plus it seems like your right under a cell tower by the way you have a solid 5 bars.

8. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

Speeds like this speak for the self. Verizon possibly could hit 60 down on LTE in a non populated area but no way could they ever get 12 down on their pathetic 3G. Haha

9. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

"Shine"

10. Daniel L macrumors 6502

It's the opposite of this in Los Angeles / Orange County. LTE there is sometimes slower than HSPA. Side by side against my friend's Verizon iPhone 5, I got 2mbps while she got 40mbps.

11. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

It's sad when AT&T LTE is slower than their HSPA+. My cousin who has AT&T did a speed test in Bossier City, Louisiana on both networks. LTE-9 down; HSPA+-13 down. Similar latency.

12. Jades macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more! In NYC

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There was an article recently that said that AT&T LTE caught up with Verizon and in many cases beat it.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/08/technology/mobile/att-4g-network/

Of course, these are all relavent. I have no problem hitting 50-55 Mb/s on my Verizon iPad. And my phone is on AT&T, so I'm not being biased to any company. I would've probably went with AT&T LTE on my iPad if they had included free hotspot.

14. Lucille Carter, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013

Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Having solid 5 bars is more the rule and not the exception in my area. AT&T may cost more but I have found their service to be with out fault!:p

15. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

What part of Houston were you in? Did you go around town much, or did you pretty much stay in the same general area? I'm just curious what their LTE speeds are like in different parts of town.

16. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

This was pretty much all over. Very consistent speeds!!! Even with 2-3 bars I'd still pull at least 30mbps.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very solid coverage and fast LTE here too.

Attached Files:

18. Darryjr macrumors regular

Darryjr

I am on sprint ,which we all know their speeds are terrible . But recently started getting 4g in my area,not LTE and their speeds are pretty good for 4g.

Attached Files:

19. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I've never had above 10MBPS on Sprint "LTE".

20. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I consistently bench over 25Mbps.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I consistently bench 315 lbs:D

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Doubtful.

23. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

History will repeat itself.

Verizon will have the most LTE coverage (considerably slower than AT&T)
    AT&T will have the fastest LTE, like how they had the fastest 3G.
    T-Mobile is late to the game again
    Sprint will have the most pathetic speeds.

24. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Doesn't really matter to me if you believe me or not, anything around 10Mbps is fast enough with a low ping. You would hardly notice a difference between 20Mbps and 10Mbps with roughly the same ping, however going from 10Mbps with say a 50ms ping to 20Mbps and a 150ms ping would make that 20Mbps seem equivalent to say 1-2Mbps.

25. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

On Sprint? Yeah right. They don't have the spectrum for that. I believe they are only 2x5mhz for their entire LTE footprint.