AT&T will NOT grandfather in my 200MB plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brutusfly, Sep 14, 2012.

1. brutusfly macrumors member

:mad: I use less than 150MB a month. AT&T insists I pay for 20-times that or I can't upgrade from iPhone 4. Crappy service for double the price. Twice today I was told I could keep the plan, only to be rejected later. These greedy mega-corps keep eliminating the lower plans! Trickle up economics! :mad:

I would wait and buy unlocked, but I can't even use my old micro-sim, right?

2. Powrie macrumors 6502

ATT has a 300mb data plan.

That is only double your 150 usage.

not 20x

Get the 300mb plan

3. McBeats macrumors 6502a

thats actually incredible that you only use that little amount a month. If I had my phone on standby and the very little usage of 3G, it would go over 200MB a month.

4. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

Nope. With an iPhone 5 I can't get anything less than the 3GB plan according to 3-different AT&T associates (one of them the manager).

5. RSully macrumors member

I ordered from apple.com and picked 300MB plan. I'm going to try to swap to my line and keep 200MB but if not 300MB is fine with me, not much of a difference. I was thinking of upgrading anyways.

6. outphase macrumors 65816

I ordered on Apple.com and had no problem keeping the 200MB plan on one of the lines I upgraded.

7. Powrie macrumors 6502

I preordered my phone from ATT today and it let me select the 300 mb option.

8. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

Can't go that route. Business account won't even let me use Apple's online upgrade path. "Account type not supported." Glad you could, I just wish there was a work around. :(

9. Powrie macrumors 6502

It sounds like they are trying to pigeon hole you into a bigger plan.

Id call them up an complain again saying you know that other people are able to get the 300 mb plan

Ask them specifically why they wont allow you to do it when others can.

10. i4Collin, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

i4Collin macrumors regular

Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 7.41.11 PM.png

I had no problem keeping the 200MB plan. I plan on moving the phone to another line that has grandfathered unlimited.

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

Order through Apple. I have business account and I was able to use legacy plan just fine.

12. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I couldn't order through apple.com as I have a business account. I was able to preorder through AT&T's business site after logging into the account. I was also forced to upgrade to the 3G data plan. My assumption is that it has something to do with the ability to FaceTime over cellular.

13. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I would just go to a different store if they can't get you what you want. And I'm afraid it doesn't have anything to do with facetime as you have to have the rip off share everything plans for it. the unlimited/200mb/300mb/2gb/3gb/5gb+tethering plans will not allow face time.

14. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

One AT&T associate thought I might be able to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 and just pop in my old sim card and never update the IME number. I told him that I think the 5 will use a nano-sim and not be compatible.
    The whole thing makes me think about historical times where if one company was providing poor service someone could just start a competing company that did it better. All we have now is a few mega-corps mutually milking consumers.

15. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to try that. I haven't called the small business division yet.

What if your electric utility tried to force you to buy a double-the-fee power usage package every time you upgraded an appliance? "But I'm not using more electricity!" you plead. "Either that or no new refrigerator" they reply.

16. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

No iPhone 5 for you!

I called. No options according to AT&T via phone either. A small business can't even switch to the individual 300MB plan without dropping that line to personal billing responsibility and such. Not sure how much of a hassle that makes management and billing. Official lower limit for a business acount seems to be 3GB. :(

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very weird.
    Everyone else is grandfathered to their old data plans, texting etc
    Surprise they are trying to force you off. They don't usually do that.

18. kevink2 macrumors 65816

When I tried preordering on ATT since Apple had a 2 week wait (I wasn't going to wake up at 2AM to order, I would not have been able to fall back asleep quickly), it told me I couldn't keep my no longer available 2GB plan, and automatically selected the 200MB plan.

Apple.com allowed me to keep my existing plan.

Both would have allowed me to keep my more than adequate $5/200 text messaging plan. Though I probably could save a small amount of money going straight PPU, I don't like the uncertainty that each message I send/receive costs me money :)

I assume that, since Apple.com allowed me to keep my plan, it was some hiccup on their web site. Since same cost, I just went with apple.

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

poster is leaving something out

Everybody says they can keep their current data plan. Unlimited, old 2Gb, etc.

Poster says something about calling small business division? Why?

Poster talks about buying unlocked. That is way more expensive than the $30 a month data plan - which you would still have to get anyway.

Something is missing in this post.

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

My wife is at around 300mb on average. Most of her use is at home on wifi.

I average around 800mb and I also have wifi at work

But I will probably get the 10gb mobile share plan by the end of the year

21. Comet5o4 macrumors member

Ordered mine today, my receipt stated that I was keeping my old 2GB and 1500 text plans...

22. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Ordered through AT&T and was able to keep my 200MB plan
    [​IMG]

23. tl01 macrumors 65816

You can get the 300 mb plan. It's listed as clear as day when you order on apple.com.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

It sounds like poster is using a business account... anyone know if AT&T treats those differently?

I know I for one didn't even have a choice of switching plans when I bought my 5, it was my current (unlimited) plan and that was it.

(I ordered through Apple.com).

25. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

It's a small office with 6 mobile phones.

Two AT&T stores, management included, won't let me keep the 200MB plan. It's 3GB or nothing.

The AT&T small business support for our account (Premiere account, "enterprise", multiple marketing terms the have used in reference to it) also say 3GB only.

The AT&T lady on phone support said I could migrate the account to being billed in my own name (Individual/personal) and upgrade to the 300MB account. An extra $120 a year, but not bad. Just a major hassle for billing and management of the account, and still twice the data I actually need.

An unlocked phone would cost $350 more, but save $180/year every year after the break even point...for many years to come, but now I know this is not an option since the iPhone 4 sim won't fit the iPhone 5.

It boils down to these massive corporations expecting everyone to give them $1000 a year, regardless of the quality or quantity of service rendered. AT&T makes even Comcast look good.

----------

I also forgot to repeat for those who missed it, the Apple Store online won't allow an order stating:
    "Account type not supported."
    "We're sorry. The AT&T account you have is a business account. Please contact your company's telecom manager or AT&T account manager to complete your iPhone purchase."

----------

[​IMG]