AT&T won't let me keep Unlimited Data??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wcrankshaw, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wcrankshaw macrumors newbie

According the everything on the internet I should be able to upgrade to iPhone 5 and keep my old unlimited data plan. However, there is no option to do this, and AT&T's website is saying I have to add a MobileShare plan before I can check out. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's a line on a family plan. Is that the problem? Am I forced to use the new plan because of that?

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

www.att.com would be the best place to find that information. Call customer service and talk to them. You will get 20 different answers here with all the "experts" that are on MR.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

you are doing something wrong.

You are able to keep the plan. Call in or go to the store.

4. wcrankshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a feeling this was the case. There is just no sign of anything allowing me to opt out.

5. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

I ordered through the Apple store, and kept my existing plans including unlimited data.... 5Gig at LTE speeds (where available) before throttling.... I have never used that much, rarely going above 2 gig, but I have a separate wifi hub, which will go away after I am comfortable with the phone as my connection.

6. MittsTaxreturn macrumors newbie

i've experienced this before with upgrading on AT&T's site. all you have to do is contact a CSR and explain your situation. they will put "notes" in your account to serve as a bookmark or whatever you want to call it, after you activate your new iP5 give them a call back and they will restore your unlimited data.

7. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I would not recommend this method. Getting back on unlimited data is much more difficult than calling to upgrade instead of using the website. Even if they put notes on your account, you'll be facing an uphill battle. Just call AT&T or go in to one of their stores to get your upgrade.

8. wookiee2cu macrumors member

As long as you are upgrading from an older iPhone to the new iPhone then you get to keep it. If you are upgrading from a non iPhone to the iPhone then you lose it. I've read several times that if it gets changed in the system there is NO way to revert it back. Supposedly it is set up in the system that the permissions to make the change are not there so there is nothing a rep can do but say sorry.

9. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't risk that. Most say once unlimited is gone they can't (won't) put it back. Even if the rep in the store cancelled it by accident.

10. MittsTaxreturn macrumors newbie

it wasnt difficult for me at all. in fact, i upgraded lines to a samsung phone and selected a plan that wasnt unlimited data.. then called and got my unlimited data plan restored. and a few weeks after i decided that i didnt like the phone i returned the phone and got my upgrade elgibility restored. and all it took were phone calls to the AT&T CSR