AT&T won't unlock my iPhone 4 (off contract)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BIRDinho, Sep 27, 2012.

1. BIRDinho macrumors regular

So I had the iPhone 4, skipped the 4S and I was eligible to purchase the 5 on time with no early upgrading at the subsidized price of $199 USD. I received my iPhone 5 and set it up day 1. Soon after I erased everything from my iPhone 4 and restored it as "new" to give to my girlfriend to use on another carrier.

I went to the AT&T wireless site that allows you to fill out a form with all your phone and contract info. I waited the 5-7 days for a response and this is what they replied:

"We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request. "

My service commitment for that iPhone IS completed as it is off contract and out of use. My iPhone 5 is now the phone that I have on my contract and is being used. Is there anything I'm missing here or did wrong?? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. jokemjokester macrumors member

jokemjokester

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Same happened to me. I resubmitted it and it worked.

4. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

Same thing happened to me. Best to call AT&T and be transferred to a tier 2 technical support rep. They are the ones that are still willing unlock iPhones over the phone even though AT&T stopped doing it.

I had the exact same thing happen with my iPhone 4. They seem to reject the request if they see a new contract and don't verify that you are requesting unlock for iPhone 4 and not the 5.

5. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Or if your time is valuable just goto eBay, pay the $8-$10 to UNLOCK_FUSION and get it unlocked that way.

My time is valuable so instead of messing with them after I got denied, I paid the few bucks and got my 4S unlocked overnight. Restore via iTunes and boom. Valid unlocked message!

6. calvy macrumors 65816

I did the same thing except I didn't know about this ebay user, I paid $25 to gsmphonesource and got it done in about an hour. Beat the hell out of the time I spent on hold with AT&T.

7. BIRDinho thread starter macrumors regular

8. alent1234 macrumors 603

took me 3 calls to AT&T

wife's iphone 4 was switched at the genius bar last year and at&t thought it was still on contract because they have a tool that uses the first day the IMEI is used. third time they saw i had a 5 on order on the same line and took a 5 minute manager approval to get it unlocked.

no need to pay the fleabay prices