AT&T, would it be the hardest thing to send a text to users when they are near their

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 7, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

AT&T, would it be the hardest thing to send a text to users when they are near their limit for minutes, text, or data for the month.

Especially now that users have to keep track of all three things simultanously.

A simple text along the lines of

"Dear Valued AT&T Customer, this is free text msg to inform you that you have used up 180 Text Messages of the 200 Text Messages alloted to you for the month. If you would like to upgrade to the 2GB Data Plan for $10 more, please call an AT&T Representative at ###### or log into your account at wireless.att.com"

Or better yet, lock out the data completely once you used your limit for the month ala...

This would save a lot of hassle for customers. I have to be vigilant in keeping track of the amount of text msgs sent on my account, and minutes used up for my whole family, and then call and inform everyone on my account when we are near the limit. It would be nice if AT&T simply sent a text to everyone.

Those text messages would also push more users to higher data and text plans.

And it would likewise prevent lots of calls to their customer service centers from people calling because of their overage charges and asking them to be reduced and threatening to leave AT&T if they leave unsatisfied.

Lastly, it would build good will from their customers with AT&T who in turn would retain more customers. Customers who are pissed off about overages are more likely to leave to other carriers.

This is how Apple retains its customers, by offering up fantastic customer service.

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Because other carriers do this? Verizon never sent me a text when I was approaching my text limit.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

No. Because it would be a useful thing for a company to do.

4. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

No because customers aren't rational.

If they're mad at AT&T for anything, even over overusage charges from months ago that AT&T refused to take away, they are going to jump ship.

It's psychological. Anything that leaves behind a bad impression of a company will stick around in the customers head as a negative association with AT&T, long after the original cause passed, even if the competitors are no different.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

But he specifically said people would leave for other carriers because of overages. I was curious as to whether or not other carriers did this.

6. JajoPGH macrumors regular

I do not think they are obligated to look after you. It's your responsibility to know how much money you have in your pocket, right? Same thing with minutes/texts.

I would like it too. In addition to a "Low Battery" message, have a "Low Messages" message too. But, AT&T is in business to make money.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Cell phone companies wont do this. They will lose money. Just think, if they did that, they wouldnt get people to go over their plans and be charged extra money.

8. skyehill macrumors 6502

AT&T is going to text you three times if your near your data limit. If you own an iPhone, it's actually cheaper and smarter to use a texting app and avoid ATT raping you for 20 bucks a month just to send minuscule bits of data.

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

They would never do this because they secretly want you to go over. If you go over, that means more money for them. This does not include anything for the new data text messages though.