AT&T Wouldn't Let Me Get an iPhone After Waiting 2 1/2 Hours!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MallCop, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

I waited in line at my local AT&T store for 2 1/2 hours and when it was my turn to go in I said I wanted the 32gb in black and they had it. So I thought great good to go. Well apparently after speaking with a different store in NY and AT&T customer service telling me that an authorized user can add a line I couldn't and had to leave with no iPhone. I thought great now I have to wait at least a month. But then the manager asked me what happen and I told him and he goes what phone do you want? I tell him and he says Ill put one to the side just don't tell anyone. Im like great thanks. I guess the line of people asking why I didn't get a phone and the TV camera interviewing everyone who came out of the door really helps. But anyway Ill be able to get my phone later and those 2 1/2 hours weren't wasted. Thanks to the manager.

2. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

Lucky you. Same exact thing happened to me even though I was told by two Apple employees that the account holder doesn't need to be present. I'm so incredibly mad right now it's ridiculous. And I waited 7 hours.

3. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

So you are not an authorized user on the account and wanted to add a new line of service?

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

[​IMG]

5. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a authorized user but apparently adding a line of service is the only thing they can't do.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Frankly, if you've been a member of these forums since the last iPhone came out you should know this. This information was posted here as well as many other forums. Also, you could have called AT&T and ASKED them what they required for you to come and get a new phone or add another line.

When you piggy back onto someone else's account for whatever reason be prepared to research adding a new line or whatever else you need before launch day. I would say that AT&T is right but in the eyes of bad press, many companies will do just about anything to keep their name from being smeared in the mud by some pissed off kid who didn't get a new toy. I deal with this daily but on a much higher level with something that costs a lot more than a silly phone.

You were lucky.

7. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Are you the account holder (i.e person financially responsible for account)?

8. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I did call AT&T and asked them am I able to go to a store on launch day and add a new line of service with an iPhone and they said yes. I also went to a corporate AT&T store and asked them and the guy looked it up in the computer and said yes you are good to go and that was a manager. I think its already bad press for a company to say one thing but then say that is not true. I just don't see how an upgrade, which requires signing a new 2-year contract, and just rate plans is allowed but adding a $10 line isn't.

No, Im only an authorized user, my dad is the account holder.

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Sorry they gave you incorrect into.

10. lateralus1082 macrumors member

If it makes you feel better, I added two lines of service and walked out with two iPhones. :eek:

11. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Gets worse. Went back with my dad and tried to add the line and they go you will need to make a $1,000 deposit for this line. $1,000 for a $10 a month phone line when we already have 4 iPhones on the account. There kidding me right? I mean no one is that stupid.

12. jjlannoo Suspended

if it makes you feel better when I was a kid we didn't have cellphones

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Wow... I'm guessing some pretty significant credit problems, and poor payment history with AT&T? Highest deposit I've heard of before this is $800.

14. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope no problems what so ever. Just bought a brand new mustang last month and at&t are paid every month on time. All I wanted to do was add a $10 line to an existing account. I even said what if I pay for the entire two years of service for that line now and they said well you can apply that to your account but we would still require $1,000.

15. iYitsy macrumors member

I am confused, an account holder doesn't need to be present? That is considered fraud. :p

16. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I can speak from personal experience on this matter, I have one account with At&t that is mine. A few years ago my sister couldn't get a phone, so I went and opened up a second At&t account in my name for her. I did it where its 2 separate lines and bills. Shortly after the account was opened for her, I added her to the account, so she could do what she needed provided she had my last 4. Fast forward to this past May, she went into a local At&t corporate store, gave them the phone number, showed ID and was able to add a second iPhone to the account without an issue in the world! So, I'm not saying anything about the OP or their story, but a line can be added without the account holder present.

OP: Are you by chance under the age of 18?? This might be the reason.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't think age is the reason, they seem to only care about the name. I went to the Apple store and got myself an iPhone when I was 17 (my dad and I have the same name and I know his last 4 social, so I passed all the verification crap :p). I could tell the Apple store employee didn't really believe me, he said something like "really, you have 3 lines of service at more than $200/month at 17?" but I guess as long as the paperwork looks legit, they'd rather get the sale.

IIRC you can call them up and authorize other people to buy phones

18. iYitsy macrumors member

I work at another carrier and we're very proactive about stuff like this. The only way you can activate or sign contracts is when you have an account holder or account manager located in the store.

When it comes to age, technically speaking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_(law) you have to be the age of eighteen to sign a written agreement/contract. If someone higher up was there, **** would've gone down.

19. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I know age has something to do with it but you just have to be over the age of 18 and Im 18.