At this point, is it worth just buying online and waiting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BJB Productions, Mar 15, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all,
    If there are other threads about this, I apologize...

So it seems really uncertain when Apple stores will have a supply of iPads again. I talked to two reps at my local Apple store and they both said they had no idea when they would be getting more, and when they get more, how many that will even be. They suggested I just order online.

So here's what I'm wondering:

-What are the chances if I order an iPad from Apple online, it will ship before the "4-6" week estimate?

-Do you think if I wait another week, iPads will still be just as hard to find at Apple stores, or by then they will be stocked well?

-Or pre order from B&H?

...So what would be faster at this point? I don't live close enough to an Apple store to check every day; it's about a 45 min drive there. I do live close to a Best Buy and Target; however they have no idea when they're going to get more stock, so it's a huge guessing game.

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

If you order from Apple it is likely to ship sooner than they say. They usually give overly long ship times so people don't bug them.
    Don't order from B&H. They lied to me 3 times and charged my card.
    The Apple store situation is ridiculous. People lining up for hours and Apple won't even tell them how many they have.
    I'm tired of the whole thing. I cancelled my B&H order. Maybe I'll order from the Apple site or maybe I'll just wait. At least Apple won't charge your card until it has shipped. They should be very glad they don't have any serious competitors out there.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Apple are supposed to launch internationally on the 25th, so I guess US supply may dip as devices are shipped to other countries. 4-6 week online wait is a bit riddiculuse, I'd wait and try the stores.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think so. I wouldn't want to spend the time calling countless stores and interrogating the employees who most likely don't have the correct information.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I ordered online. If I see one before my online order ships, then bonus! Otherwise, at least I have a place in the manufacturing line. :)

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I just ordered one from my university store. They claim they're getting a bunch in this week starting tomorrow, so I'll see. Otherwise I'll just hang around. I doubt they'll see sold out straight away for 4-5 weeks.

7. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

If I was in your situation, I would order it online through apple.. and in the meantime causally check at your local apple/best buy store to see if they have any in stock. If you get lucky enough to find one you can always cancel the online order, or return it if it has shipped.

8. mwjd299 macrumors regular

I got tired of the game and just ordered online. I got an estimated shipping date of April 19 with delivery on April 22. Plus I was able to get free engraving.
    I did get on a call list at Mac Superstore in SLO, CA. If they call soon I can decide if I want it and just cancel the Apple order.

What was going on was just driving me crazy.

:confused:

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

You are probably all right; this whole daily calling of stores to see if they have stock is ridiculous.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

With Apple handling he situation the way they are (hiding info from both consumers and retailers) then here's my list of "Best to Worst":

1) Best Buy Pre Order - $100 down and then you dont have to call anymore.
    2) Apple.com - 4wks estimate is probably a lot shorter
    3) Ebay. If you can afford an iPad you can afford the $100 ebay markup.

At this point then walking into a store and finding one is a total gamble.

11. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I would try AT&T if you want their 3G service. I have seen where people have ordered from there and have been shipped before the Apple Store people. It seems they have stock they pull from and ship from the US. I'm sure they get a reasonable supply on a regular basis.

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I think by apple putting 4 to 5 weeks its their way of saying chill out and wait.

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Looking for one for my wife and after stops into Apple stores over the weekend and again today I've given up getting one "in store."

I placed an order online this morning at 9am.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

... or their way of communicating to customers the estimated delivery time based on their current supply forecast.

15. tchizzle macrumors newbie

I gave up lining at the store.... imagine all the time wasted lining up, not being able to get it. You could be using that time to do something productive (Opportunity Costs!) You have to be pretty lucky and patient to get one at the store.

I ordered at B&H. Cant really beat not paying tax of the iPad2. There is going to be a wait regardless of where you order, apple and/or B&H or even lining up at the store. I am not sure if Apple charges Tax, I think it depends on the state. For me, I saved 50 bucks and its money I can keep in my pocket and use for somewhere else...

the iPad2 not a necessity, more of an luxury. Ill just play the waiting game, be patient save 50 bucks!

16. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I don't think so most companies just put a not available but 5-6 weeks is a real morale killer.

17. noahc macrumors member

I ordered from AT&T this morning. They estimated 2-3 weeks. If I happen to pass by an Apple Store or other retailer before then and I can find exactly what I want (32GB 3G version in black -- seems to be the most popular one) then I cancel my order. But I'm going to stop stressing about it.

18. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah well AT&T definitely seems to be shipping the fastest, however I'm not in the market for the 3G version.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You cannot have everything. If you don't want 3G version, then order online. I also recommend calling apple store once a day. (Before they close and ask)

After that, wait in line for a next day.

Otherwise, order online. It won't be 5-6 weeks. They are just giving an ample time to fulfill their orders just in case.

I expect to delays on other countries as well. If they don't delay it, then they will see very low volumes of iPad 2.

20. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Apple online is pretty good about letting you cancel orders before they have been prepared for shipment (especially if you do not order engraving). You do not get billed till the item ships. So you can always order online, if you happen to pass by a store that has ipads in stock, and you know your order is not scheduled to go out for several days or weeks, then you can cancel the online order and by there in the store, if not, you have the back-up online order.

Good luck
    -spg

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think I'm giving up on waiting in line every day. I ordered online today. I hope that they are under-promising and will over-deliver but, to be honest, I'm not expecting it. I think Apple really shot the pooch with this one as far as reading market demand. That coupled with being released in more locations (BB, Target, Wal-Mart, AT&T, and Verizon) and a big first wave of international releases around the corner, I think our friends in Cupertino are stretched to the max. :(

Hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, I'm none to thrilled with the iPad 2 launch. I think they made some serious biffs and will NEVER understand why they let people buy 2 on launch day. You can practically watch the people as they walk out of the Apple Store posting them on eBay. Just don't think it's fair. Day 2, sure, but not launch day.

22. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Depends. Not worth ordering online if you are around NYC

Better chance if get in line before 8am at any store except 5th ave

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I gave up. I wound up putting an order in at my Micro Center store. I'll have to wait 2-5 weeks or something but at least they are giving me a $50 gift certificate for buying the iPad from them.

24. MacMD2 macrumors newbie

I placed an online order at 8:30am on 3/11. My ipad isn't scheduled to ship until 4/1. My boyfriend stopped by an independent computer store in the city on Sunday looking for a hard drive for his laptop and happened to stop by their VERY TINY mac section, to ask if they had any ipads (remembering my incessant complaining that I wouldn't get my ipad for a month...). They were sold out, but were giving out vouchers for their next shipment, along with $50 off coupons. They said they were expecting a shipment on Monday evening, but yesterday they emailed saying it didn't arrive as expected because Apple was experiencing "unprecedented demand". But they are honoring the coupons and vouchers, and we're picking ours up when their next shipment arrives, probably within the next week. I'm keeping my online order just in case, but then will cancel if I get one ($50 cheaper) earlier...

25. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

Order from MacConnection if you want it fast !

I ordered a 32 GB Wi-Fi Black from MacConnection Today (3/15) at 10 AM EST and it has shipped as of 7PM EST and should be here on 3/17 or 3/18. If your going to order order with them NO TAX. Told me over the phone it would be atleast 2 weeks. Glad I will finally have mine this week !