Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Driller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I'm kind of a watch geek and noticed that AT&T's time displayed on my iPhone is about 00:01:40 (1 min 40 secs) behind my atomic watch. You can verify this your self at the time.gov web site. My Verizon phone was almost spot on. I don't know if this varies area to area or if it is nation wide. No big deal but made me go hmmm.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think it depends more on your area because my at&t phone is spot give or take a few sec. I am to lazy to check it to make sure it is dead on but my watch is with in a few secs of the local atomic clock.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
OMFG, do you think Apple will waive the restocking fee so I can return mine?

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Westfield, NJ is 26.5 seconds slow. I doubt anybody here lives there anyway, but whatever.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I just checked, and I'm about four seconds slow. it's no biggie since none of my phones have ever been exact. if I want exact time, I call for it. for those whose iPhones are severely behind, try turning off the preference to automatically set the clock and then turn it back on. it should readjust to a more accurate time.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I'm kind of a watch geek and noticed that AT&T's time displayed on my iPhone is about 00:01:40 (1 min 40 secs) behind my atomic watch. You can verify this your self at the time.gov web site. My Verizon phone was almost spot on. I don't know if this varies area to area or if it is nation wide. No big deal but made me go hmmm.
o_rly.jpg

Just kidding. My clock is fine though.

CBragg

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Toledo, OH

My clock was 5.5 seconds behind here in Toledo, OH. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest disabling and re-enabling the Set Automatically setting just to make sure that it has the latest network time. I think GSM networks only update the time periodically.

ccwilli3

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
It was mentioned above correctly. GSM doesn't have stratum timing information encoded in its signal received from the base station. Every so often the phone will have to request the time to be updated manually. CDMA on the other hand has GPS stratum 1 timing built into the CDMA timing signal accurate to a minimum of 10 microseconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.