AT&T's iPhone unlock email/eBay unlock question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Sep 23, 2012.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I solf my iPhone 4S and the buyer thought the phone was unlocked ... I told him I would go ahead and submit a request to AT&T to have it unlocked.

When you sign up it says 5-7 days ... but when I talked with tech support today she said she hasn't seen it take any longer then that or up to 24 hours later.

I assume since I put in my request today and it's Sunday I won't see anything till tomm / Tues.

Anyone done this service lately and if so how long did it take for you to get your email stating the phone's IMEI is ready to restored and unlocked via iTunes?

Thanks so much for the info.

2. nikhsub1, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012

nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I put that request in too... waited and waited and waited. Finally I just called them, they asked for the IMEI and I gave it to them. One minute later they said OK, you need to do a software restore in iTunes then the phone will be unlocked. They were right, my 4s is now unlocked.

3. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I completed the unlock request form on 9/15. As of today I've heard nothing from them, which is too bad as I ported my number today and now I don't meet the "valid phone number" requirement.

4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I submitted my app a week ago last Wednesday. Still nothing, may call. I did buy my 3GS used last January.

5. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Weird why so many have to wait so long ... when you submit your request it says 5-7 days ... figured sometime this week.

But then when I talked with the tech. rep she said most of the time it's same day if not the next day.

Looks like I'm just gonna keep calling until they do it ... my buyer has already paid but wants this unlock done (he's not techy enough to really do anything himself) before I ship.

Sure hope I hear something tomm. if not I will bug them Over and Over again!

Another Questions ....

Let's say this is taking to long and I can;t light a fire under their ass ... I know I can pay $10-20 buck on eBay and have an unlock done within 24 hours ... can I still do this even though I have AT&T already doing this? Or will it conflict with the already open request for the IMEI Unlock?

Thanks so much for all the info guys. :)

6. gwwwhhhaaattt macrumors newbie

Before the keynote I sold my iPhone 4 unlocked. It says 5-7 business days it took probably 2 or 3

7. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

AT&T: 3-5 days

EBAY $7.62-$15.xx around 6-12 hours

8. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

If AT&T takes to long ... can I still buy the unlock on eBay?

Wasn't sure if the IMEI was already in AT&T's system to be unlocked if purchasing an unlock would conflict in anyway?

I would almost be willing to just pay the 15 bucks be done with this and ship it off if possible.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did mine 2 weeks ago Monday. Think I'll call tomorrow.

What # do we call?

10. ducatiti, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 but I won't be eligible till November (24 months). I was told that one would be eligible for an upgrade in 18 months while the contract lasts for 24. I can't imagine you would be eligible to unlock your 4s. I could be wrong though.

11. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

AT&T may not do it with submissions done over the web. If you had just renewed your contract or changed the IMEI on your account they will reject the unlock due to device not meeting contract obligation / or device cannot be matched to a valid AT&T number.

This happened to me on a launch day iPhone 4. I submitted the request on Thursday evening and heard back from AT&T the following Thursday. I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and the contract had been extended for another 2 years and the IMEI on the account had changed.

I was finally able to get the device unlocked over the phone with a technical support representative. She was able to verify I had completed the contract on the iPhone 4 and was able to see the IMEI was used prior on my account.

12. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Of course you can unlock using the services some people provide on ebay, all the iphones ive owned where from at&t and the iphone 4 i got it unlocked using the first imei unlock that was available wayback (cutyoursim offered) and till these day that iphone remains unlocked, last year i got my 4s unlocked that way and still working; all these iphones around here are scalped from at&t or apple and i havent heard someone having problems with it locking again.

13. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Btw tell the person to restore the phone to see if he gets the "congratz blah blah phone unlocked" on itunes.

14. bobright macrumors 601

I got this message when unlocking my iPhone for the first time, but I don't get it anymore is that normal? I'm still unlocked and once it's done it's for good right?

15. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

How did you get an unlock for iphone 4s?

It's only been out for a year. Att won't hand out unlocks until 2 years I thought?

16. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Well like i say i havent heard of nobody getting hes iphone locked again BUT **** happends lol i actually dont remember getting that unlock screen again so you should be good.

17. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Ebay---> iphone imei unlock

First guys to offer the at&t imei (permanent) unlock where "cutyoursim" peps.

18. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Still needing to know my original question ....

AT&T is currently processing my iPhone 4S's IMEI # for an unlock.

If this takes to long ...

Can I still buy the unlock via eBay and have them do the IMEI # unlock and it work? Even though AT&T is currently doing the same thing?

Just want to make sure they don't conflict somehow.

19. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

I know, but the OP is claiming ATT is doing it for him. How, idk.

20. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I was told AT&T would do this! I am a current AT&T customer and I have recently upgraded to the iPhone 5.

My old iPhone 4S 64gb is sold and the buyer would like it be unlocked ... I talked with AT&T after getting advice here that they would do it for me. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451571)

All you have to is submit a request online and give them your IMEI number and they will reply with an email when your phone is ready to be unlocked.

www.att.com/deviceunlock

The AT&T rep said this would be no problem to do I just need to submit my request online.

But Again ...... I may not want to wait ... I am Still trying to find out if anyone knows since AT&T is processing my unlock will buying an unlock on eBay conflict in some way and maybe cause the unlock to not work????????????

21. bobright macrumors 601

ya know i just tried a restore right now because it was bothering me i hadnt seen it as my phone is about to be shipped tomorrow to a buyer, well i actually did get the unlocked message again whew
    you should have done it a week in advance of EVERYBODY hammering them right now with the new iPhone release, did mine in advance it was granted a day before the new one came out :)

no clue about getting it unlocked online and it conflicting with att

22. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

I did this for my iPhone 4s. I couldnt wait for AT&T so I paid an ebay seller 9.75. Had no conflicts and the phone was unlocked in less than 12 hours.

23. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Thanks for the info ... just bought an unlock ... hopefully I will have it today or tomm. and I can get it sent out to him after.

Thanks

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Just repeating my question. Do I just call #611?

25. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

yes just call 611. they are not supposed to unlock iPhones over the phone anymore but a helpful technical support rep will do it for you