AT&T's LTE unlimited data plan. Has anyone been throttled yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iregret, Oct 2, 2012.

1. iregret macrumors 6502

I just checked I'm up to two gigs. I was wondering if anyone's pushed it over by yet? If not, does anyone happen to know what AT&T is going to throttle it to? I am guessing .2 mbs like usual. It'll be crazy to go from LTE speeds to edge speed.

As anyone happened to have called AT&T and asked?

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

We never been throttled and 3 of the 4 iPhones on our plan use over 3GB/month. Our older son has used over 3GB on his 4S.

3. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

^^ I don't buy it. Until someone gets throttled on AT&T with an iPhone 5 and a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan on LTE, we won't know.

So I take it the answer is no. Nobody has been throttled yet. We'll see closer to the end of October.

4. vasquez macrumors newbie

I received a few warnings earlier this year when I owned the iPhone 4. I think I only used 2 or 3-gigs.

5. twotwo11 macrumors member

LTE gets throttled if you go over 5gb. For 3G, it's 3gb.

6. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that's what I was asking. Has anyone gone over five gigs? If so, what were you throttled to?

I'm at two gigs out of five. I plan on going over five to see. No LTE in my area though.

7. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

One day my sim went bad so my dad called AT&T and they said that they don't actually throttle people's speeds but rather just claim to to motivate people not to go over the cap.

8. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm telling you they throttle me almost every month.

9. kevin222 macrumors member

They definitely throttle people though though it doesn't mean they will do it the very first month you go over a little...

10. ra1129 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, What are your actual speeds when tested using a speed test like speedtest.net APP on AT&T LTE????
    I'm also in Miami Dade, I Also live in North Miami Beach, Sunny Isles area and drive all around Maimi Dade for work. At Night I go to school in FIU's south campus as well. The reason I'm saying all of this is because I've driven all over town testing my iPhone 5's LTE speed while connected to the "LTE" network but also have been unable to get network "LTE like" speed readings using the speedtest.net APP using a bunch of diffrent servers to test off of. The readings are usually around 3 to 5 MBs down and 2 to 4 MB up. Fastest I've gotten is 8 up and 8 down. What speeds did you get after they swapped out your phone and you started connecting to LTE bc you seemed happy about a considerable change I imagine and I just want to make sure I'm not getting short changed. I have grandfathered unlimited which simce i got iphone 5 has switched to 4G LTE unlimited and have called on 2 occasion to confirm although I saw it online as well when I logged on. PLEASE HELP AS MY 30 window to return phone is up soon bc I confirmed with AT&T they start counting from day you order phone online, (which I did September 14). Want to get this handled before I'm in more of a bind and they have the upper hand cuz I'm locked in with them with no recourse. Thanks any help , and/or speed test results on AT&T OR any other carrier for comparisons sake would be greatly appreciated ESPECIALLY AT&T.
    PS I'm not being throttled as I just checked and I've only used 350MB of data in the 5 days I've had iPhone 5.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Wow you obviously failed to read that thread. Those tests were done with the $30 grandfathered plan with the iPhone 5.

Wow.

12. james92se macrumors 6502a

You really need to find somebody with an iPhone 5 in your same area. Otherwise its apples to oranges. Here's mine in Dallas:

[​IMG]

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Haha Windows XP. :D

14. james92se macrumors 6502a

Dang you're quick. I accidentally linked to the wrong image and changed it immediately hoping nobody would notice :p

15. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

Well, I have officially been throttled as of today. I hit 5GB yesterday, and with NO warning, text, or email. I'm down to less than 1MB/s speeds. Still have six days on my plan, also. I've never went over 2GB on my plan in the last two years, and I've always had the unlimited plan. Nothing has changed in my daily usage. No streaming music, youtube, movies, nothing! Just taking photos, checking facebook, sending texts and using safari an hour a day. Not thrilled!

Attached Files:

• 008.PNG
      008.PNG
      File size:
      283.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.PNG
      009.PNG
      File size:
      480.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.PNG
      010.PNG
      File size:
      489 KB
      Views:
  16. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe something's wrong? Maybe it's a screwup since the LTE data package prorated.

That's what I was afraid of though they throttled you back down to edge speed. I experience this every month when I get 3 GB.

17. Jane333 macrumors regular

I have the $30 unlimited grandfathered plan and I feel I am throttled without going over the limit. I am in Farmington Hills Michigan and am showing LTE but not getting LTE speeds. I just did a speed test and got 3.69 down and 3.91 up. I have seen others post in the Detroit area with much faster speeds. I have not even used 1 gb of data yet.

So, either I am throttled or there is something wrong with my phone.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

No, it is just that AT&T is that terrible.

19. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I live in CT but am in San Diego for business. I had the iPhone 5 sent to my hotel room out here. I was throttled last week after hitting 5 gigs on my iPhone 5. Speeds dropped to about .45 Mbps. This was in San Diego were speeds for LTE are oh around 15 Mbps on the average. In other areas around the country it may be faster of slower after the throttle.

20. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

I'm in Fort Lauderdale now for work, here are my speeds on LTE

Attached Files:

21. ra1129 macrumors newbie

My speeds in all over MIAMI, notice most of them hover around 5

Just realized I could post pics through safari on my phone, thought I would upload my appends. As you can see they all hover or most do around 5 which makes me feel capped. Want to see if other iP 5 users on Data Pro not unlimited plans get higher speeds in my area.

Attached Files:

22. ra1129 macrumors newbie

More speeds in Miami

:/

Attached Files:

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

I dunno, I've hit 5 or 6 GB over 3G/4G without being throttled several times in the last year. Hoping to test my LTE limits this month.

24. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I think it's only the iPhones that are getting throttled. Was talking to a buddy of mine and he uses his Droid as his router at his apartment. Most months he uses somewhere around 50GB!!! He uses it for everything from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and hooks his Xbox to the hotspot for playing Call of Duty online! Said he's been doing it for the past couple years. Never once got throttled or ever got a warning. He has Unlimited Data through Verizon.