At what %age do you plug in your iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M5RahuL, Mar 25, 2012.

1. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I recently got a new 4S for Sprint. For the past 3 cycles, [ the first 3 cycles ] I've been plugging it in when the battery %age drops to around 5% [ the very first time I let it die completely then plugged it in ]

I'm wondering at what percentage do you guys plug it in or do you just top-up whenever you get a chance ?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I let it die, then I plug it in.

4. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Regardless of charge left ?

----------

Every time ?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If it get's to 20%, it gets plugged in. Usually this doesn't happen before going to bed. Mine gets plugged in before going to bed every night.

6. fullygruntled macrumors newbie

Not smart.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. I need it fully charged in the morning.

8. euphrus macrumors member

I don't think letting your iPhone die before would charge it is such a smart idea. What I usually do is use it till about 5-10 percent to charge it. Only about once a month do I condition my battery and let it completely drain.

9. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Is there any harm to top-up whenever I get a chance ?

I've been reading on Lithium Ion batteries and it's really confusing. Some say one should let it die all the way and then charge to condition the battery, while others are of the opinion that these batteries have no memory so it doesn't matter when you charge. Also, the latter believe that letting these batteries die all the way harms the overall life of the battery!

I'm not sure whether to let it drop real low or top up as desired ?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Plug it in when you need to ... and don't worry too much about it.

11. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Will do.. Thanks!!

12. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Have you seen any of the reports on Tesla car battery packs being bricked? They are electric cars powered by lots of laptop type batteries. If they get completely discharged, the chemical composition gets changed and they are damaged beyond repair.

Phones and laptops have failsafes to protect themselves from being completely discharged, but they do degrade faster when they have low charge.

It is better to keep your battery at more than 50% charge, only occasionally letting it get low (once a month or so) for battery management calibration. And fully charge it each time, not a bit each time.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

When I'm at about 50%.

Oh, sorry...you mean the phone!:rolleyes:

14. astrorider macrumors 6502

I plug it in when it gets low, and every time I'm in my car since I have a dock there that charges it. Basically, I don't worry about charging at a particular % at all, and just make sure it has enough juice to get me by while out and about.

Sometimes that means it drains all the way to zero, other times I plug it in when it's probably at 95% charge. It's relieving not to have to worry about these things!

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Every night (I use it as a bedside clock), whenever I get in my car and at 20% during the day if I've been using it heavily and it needs a top-up

16. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Well my iPhone 4,4S, iPad 2, and new iPad all have had no problems with battery and I always let it die before charging. I used to have an iPod touch that I charged whenever and it got to the point that it would hit 20% and then drop to 0 in about an hour of usage.

I've seen no ill effects from charging fully and letting it die. To be clear, I don't calibrate each time...I just let it die then charge it all the way to 100%

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ this!

18. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

I plug mine in when i go to bed or when I am in the car. As far as the %, I don't use that at all, I use the standard icon without any numbers.

19. k3roro macrumors 6502

I use a dock, so at night when I go to bed, I dock the phone =).

20. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Plug it in when I go to bed if I have work the next day or before going out for the night etc, otherwise I don't charge it unless I have to.

21. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That plus turn off the percentage indicator and you'll worry about it less.

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

I plug it in whenever I like makes no difference! It's a phone I've never had battery issues.

23. Rennir macrumors 6502

Depends but the lowest I plug it in at is 25%. However, once every ~30 charges, it's good to let the battery fall below 20% so that the reading on your iPhone stays accurate. I usually don't let it die and then charge it.

If you're looking for more information about lith-ion batteries, I suggest reading GJStudio's guide on this site (search battery guide or something...) and taking a look at batteryuniversity.com

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Each day, my phone is at 50% or so so I plug it in each day a few hours before I have to leave for work.

25. neek87 macrumors newbie

My phone gets plugged in every night when I'm going to bed, every time I'm in my car, and on and off during my eight hour work day.