At what point did you know you were not a "young" adult?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 16, 2010.

?

At what point did you know you were not a young adult?

1. late-20s

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. the big 30

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. 31-34

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. the big 35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 36-39

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. the big 40

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. over 40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. over 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I will always be young

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  10. I am too young for this stupid poll

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

and what tipped you off to that fact?

...and you were heading into middle age?

or employers looked at you and didn't hire you thinking you may cost too much?

or going nightclubbing was either too tiring or the people there were too young?

or when most of your friends were married or in long-term relationships?

or when sex drive slowed down?

or when most of your friends who wanted kids already had at least one?

or when you looked in the mirror you looked like your dad/mom?

or when you walked down the street SOMEBODY thought you were them? :)

or when your hs friend who got pregnant had a boy who is going bald?? (or alternatively, you are biologically old enough to be a grandparent, especially in this ongoing epidemic of teen pregnancies.)

that being said, is it harder for a woman to no longer be a "young" adult?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it would be interesting to compare the age of the responder to their response.

I think people's conception of "middle aged" is sort of sad. Saying 50-60 is middle aged is kind of like 28 year olds saying they are in their mid-20s.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

^^^^^

When I was 18, I thought 26 was no longer a young adult, but a nowhere-man's land between young adult and 40 (middle aged). At least in my day, you couldn't be drafted anymore. :)

I now, nearing my AARP membership, think one leaves "young adulthood" somewhere after age 30 or at age 30.

33 was the age I realized I was not a young adult.

Why that age? Look how much Christ got done by that age? I was already halfway through my statistical life expectancy? I had a 33 year old female supervisor who had a daughter just give birth to a baby. There were Governors who had ruled over states younger than 33. And nightclubs, where I used to work as a singer, became too much for me and I quit both performing in them and going to them at that age. Both the performing and just going out past 10 PM was too tiring and it would wreck the next day if I had to work at nine in the morning. A beer felt like two. And the good ole drive, well let's say I wasn't 18 anymore. ;)

I also lived in a military town and some enlisted were up to 15-16 years in their job already and some hit sgt. first class, gunnery sgt. or chief, and some of the officers were majors or lt.commanders.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, I got online one day and some jerk had posted a list of things that were supposed to mean I was no longer a young adult.

But then I just ignored him anyway. So I'll let you know if and when it happens.

;)

5. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm 30 and consider myself a young adult still :p I think i will always consider myself young. I guess it get this from my parents. They are in their 50's and can pass for 39/40 and they still listen to current music and everything.

I Guess maybe 30-40 years ago when people got in their 30's they maybe looked older and dressed older and started acting like a candidate for the old folks home.

But now people don't do that anymore. Look at Betty white shes 88 years old and has more fun than most people younger than me. That's what i want to be when i grow up! ;)

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

When playing soccer on saturdays meant that I had to take sunday off for my knees to recover.

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I think it's still quite a bit based on attitude, I know a lot of 16-18 year olds that are more "mature" than I am.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

I turn 36 this year, and in no way feel middle-aged or like I'm not a young adult. I think a lot of it has to do with being in the entertainment industry...it just breeds the "young for life" mentality. I work with plenty of 50-year-olds who can out-party a college frat boy. I can easily stay up half the night drinking with friends and still be at work at 8am ready to go. I'm not a clubber, but definitely don't think it's "too much" for me...I just hate club music. I'm always ready for something.

I do have friends, on the other hand, who are 29 or so and practically drawing social security.

I don't know when I will start to feel old, but it's not happening yet...except by number.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

My sister is 33 and I still see her as a young adult. :)

10. advres Guest

advres

When I started caring more about my editing work than my social interaction. 31.