At what point do we reach GM humans?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jun 1, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Not a promise, but the guy who created "The Pill" foresees a day when we have children without having sex. He sees this as a good thing but I have some concerns.

1) If it is fair to say that whatever the source (evolution, God, Thetans, spontaneous combustion), the human body is better planned, more efficient, and more intelligent about it's needs than we could ever make it?

2) Doesn't the body understand what the peak time to bear children is?

3) By delaying having children until their late 40s through 60s as is being suggested, aren't you gestating a child at an age when both mother and fetus/child are more likely to have medical problems - putting more strain on the medical system?

4) By that same delay, aren't you placing those that can't afford the cryo system at a place of disadvantage since those women, if they have children, will be required to recuse themselves for at least a minimal period from the workplace?

5) By that same delay, life expectancy certainly is greater than it was 10, 20, 50 years ago, but not that much more that having a child at 50 is like having one at 25. Don't you increase the risk that more children will suffer from parental death or major illness before reaching the age of majority - again putting strain on society to compensate?

6) When we manipulate corn to produce food later in the season than it naturally could, we get concerned about GMO. When we manipulate men and women to produce babies later than they naturally could, why aren't we concerned about GMO?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

GM is is going to make humans? I hope they're better at that than making cars. :)

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Don't be silly.

He means Game Masters.

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Or maybe I meant General Mills

Now that we've gotten that out of our system...

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I thought you meant Gold Master and I was like "We're clearly in pre-alpha right now..." *crashes*

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How is having babies without sex genetically modified?

8. Queso macrumors G4

I like the idea of the concept of humanity being totally redefined. When you think about it, a genetically modified human could come in any shape you could imagine, with extra limbs, wings, several brains or even eyes in the backs of his/her head. Since we would be even more individual than we currently are, and with reproduction being replaced by replication, minor differences such as skin colour just wouldn't matter anymore.

9. Motley macrumors 6502

I always figured the future would end up like Gattaca.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This thread reminds me of that one scene in the movie Demolition Man where Sandra Bullock tries to get Sylvester Stallone to have virtual reality sex with her.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Welcome to Blade Runner and the Tyrell Corporation.

12. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Genetically modify me? I'm hip. :) I want 6% body fat, my IQ bumped up about 12 points, my sore foot and shoulder to be healed, more hair, less chin. less hair on my back, more stamina in the sack, :D , etc.

Wait, did you say we won't need to have sex any more??:( Forget it, just let me die, then.

:p

13. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Maybe I'm too young, but what's the point of having kids if you don't have to have sex? :confused: Seems like it would take all the fun out of it. :)

Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm a 17 year old virgin, so yeah. :rolleyes: