At what point is it the healthiest for the battery to start recharging?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shmutheprophet, Aug 26, 2008.

1. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

If I unplug my computer to take it with me for say 30 minutes, the battery is now at 87% - should I keep using it awhile before I plug it back in, or is it cool to just plug it back in. I read somewhere lithium-ion batteries should be recharged at 20-40% or something.

2. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

3. PrettyNPink macrumors newbie

I'm not exactly an expert on this but based on my experience it's best to wait till the battery level is low.
    My friend and I had identical HP laptops which we got around the same time and we both used them for the same purposes (mostly for school.) She would plug her laptop in whenever she was near an outlet but I liked to wait until my battery level was at 10%. A year later her battery completely died. It's been a year since then, and my battery is at just under 50% health.

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

This is one of those questions where you'll get a fair amount of differing opinions. My take? It's not going to kill the battery if you plug it in after a half hour's use on battery, so long as you cycle the battery from time to time.

And Apple puts it this way: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

So in other words, drain your battery periodically, but there's no need to be too anal about it.

My two cents.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I've hammered my macbook over the years and the battery is in top notch

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 5176
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 5185
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 1013
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12562

Use it or you'll lose it.

6. 199708 macrumors 6502

I guess its important to wait for it to be low,

but I'm not going to bother with this, I rather spend another $140 or what ever and get a new batter down the track when i notice a considerble difference in battey life. same with my phone $20). for me having a charged battery at all times is more important especially when a client calls me and asks me to meet them.