At what point to i have to pay the $399 replacement cost for my 16gb iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

heres an insurance question...

My insurance said they would insure my iPhone 3GS 16gb only if apple gave me a sheet/paper showing that the replacement cost would be $400 (including tax) or over. So i know that in warranty, an iphone that's broken would cost $199. When would it cost $399?

I know a lot of people got insurance like this, so im trying to figure out what they showed their insurance underwriter.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Repairs cost $199, replacements (i.e. it was lost/stolen) can cost $399+ depending on your contract status with AT&T.

3. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

anymore insight on what the status with att would be?

4. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I have a question semi-related if I may: I am under contract with AT&T with a 3G iPhone but I bought a 3GS off craigslist that is under warranty. I was just wondering what I would have to do in the event that I broke my phone.

Thanks

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just show them the price of the phone you'd have to pay unsubsidized.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

It varies on how much you pay AT&T a month and how long it's been since the last time you got a discounted upgrade.

If you want to see what you qualify for now, go over to http://apple.com/iphone/buy and go thru the process of buying an iPhone (don't worry, you won't complete it). After you enter your SSN and stuff, it will tell you how much it costs for you.

AFAIK, you just pop your SIM from the broken phone into the new phone.

7. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I mean, how would I go through apple to get the 3GS and not the 3G because I bought a 3G from apple but later bought 3GS from craigslist

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding.

If you're talking about repairs, Apple should do warranty work on any iPhone that's under warranty, regardless of where you bought it from (them, AT&T, craigslist, ebay, etc).

If you're talking about wanting to buy a new iPhone 3GS from Apple, remember that no matter who you buy it from (Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, etc), AT&T will determine the price. If you're wanting to know the price, you can check your AT&T account online, or call AT&T. The price they give you should be the price that any store charges you to buy a new iPhone 3GS.

Again, sorry if I misunderstood your question.

9. lollicup macrumors regular

you can't

you should insure your iPhone for $199 ( that's the cost to repair)

if your insurance also covers loss/theft, then you need to provide them with the proof of what it would cost you to buy an Iphone without a contract ( $499/599)