At what price does fuel kick you out of your car?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nick9191, Jun 28, 2008.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

When does fuel become so expensive that you are forced out of your car?
    And why? Will you never stop driving? Is there a viable alternative for you? Do you just love driving?

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Or motorbike, or tractor, or lawnmower, or moped :rolleyes::p

4. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I was just offered a new job, but had to renegotiate the salary upward based on the likely continued increase in fuel costs.

I'll be doing nearly 1,200 miles a month just getting to and from work, so petrol is going to be a big outgoing... :(

*EDIT* I don't have any other choice than to drive - my new employer is based miles away from any public transport, and I'm not sure if they offer any flexible working options yet.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't drive to work. I drive minimally outside of work. I mostly drive when I'm going to buy heavy items from the supermarket or for fun. My Elise is returning 33.1 mpg (so far: measured since I got it) which is not too bad. I suppose if petrol reached £2/l I'd start using it a bit less...

6. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm looking at buying a car soon and have had my choices slashed because of fuel prices. Looking at a 1.0i Corsa now, 40-45 mpg.

Also going to have to economise on my random tech expenditures, stop the smokes, and sell crack on the side :) Okay the last one was a joke.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Don't really use my car so I don't think there would be a price level that would inhibit my use of it. I'm a pinko bicyclist/public transport bus/train/ferry user.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

When you live in rural America you have no other option but pay it.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not really sure. Living in rural Wales and travelling 40 miles a day (20 each way) to work, the cost of diesel is becoming a bigger problem. But there aren't any jobs closer to home, and the public transport is a complete and utter joke around here.

So I guess if no more financial commitments show up, I'm okay at the moment. I think at at the £2 mark though, there's going to have to be some compromise.

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Fortunately it looks like I'm fairly insulated at this point. Live a few miles from work, and my wife works about a block away from my office. We carpool. When it cools down a bit, I may start biking to work, but that probably means I would need to leave some suits at the office. Of course, I don't see the wife doing that unless fuel gets really expensive (it's only about a tank a month to get both of us to work and run a decent amount of errands).

11. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I get 40+ Mpg, but I drive a significant distance to my internship (unpaid ftw!), so I really have no choice but to keep on keepin' on regardless of price.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's the same thing in Texas, you don't really have a choice - everything is so spreadout. The nearest convenience store is more than a mile away, there is no public transportation and I have to drive 10 miles to work. I could bike to work, but I would have to go a longer way (the 10-mile route uses a highway) which could take more than an hour to get there - that and there is no way to drop the kids at day care on a bike.

13. bamaworks macrumors 6502

But you'd damn nearly be Lance Armstrong by the end of the year :D.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

True. I just dont have the time, since I have to be at work by 6:30.

15. bamaworks macrumors 6502

16. iGav macrumors G3

I tend to agree that £2 a litre is probably going to the psychological, if not the absolute financial boundary for many people.

It's not especially bad for me at the moment, because my own car's so frugal, my diesel probably works out somewhere in the region of 75p litre in comparison to the average car.

We desperately need a sliding duty scale though to compensate for periods when oil increases in price so that the price at the pumps can be reduced whilst the treasury still collects what it anticipated when setting the budget.

<edit>Really looking forward to following your progress robbieduncan. :)

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I live 30 miles away from work, and public transport near my house is nonexistent, so gas could go up to 20 bucks a gallon and I'd have no choice but to pay it

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I really like driving, so gas would have go up much more for me to stop. Plus, I'm 17 miles from work with no possible public transportation. I'd have to pay for gas no matter what the cost.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have no idea. I guess it'll start getting cost prohibitive soon enough. If I was the type of driver who filled up his tank once per week, I would have taken public transportation by now. However, as I only fill up on petrol every 2 weeks, and my supervisor pays for most of it, I'm still OK.

20. Coprolite macrumors member

I am currently car shopping, but the options in the US right now are not overly appealing. It seems tough to get a fuel efficient car here. Back in Thailand, the diesel pickups would get great mileage. I may be waiting for 2009 models and thinking about the up and coming diesels....

I figure that people should plan the fuel costs when planning on what car to buy. If you buy an Escalade, you should be rich enough to pour fuel into its hungry maw.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There is no price that would get me out of my car. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it and I live on Long Island where public transportation is awful.

22. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Getting to school I can take the bus- which takes an hour to get to school (6:30 pickup, 7:30 drop off). Usually I just get a ride with my mom on her way to work (13min ride)

Next year I'll probably drive to school because I will be able to have a parking spot and I play soccer and other sports after school. I don't live near many people so having a car is the easiest way to get home.

Besides the school bus there are no other forms of public transportation- no buses, no trains, no subways, no taxis- nothing, like much of America. Actually, there is a commuter bus that comes at 7:00am and comes back at 6:00pm that goes to Hartford.

Other than that I could not really live without a car. The center of town is at least 15 min away in a car going about 45mph avg, and the only things there are a grocery store, a couple gas stations and banks, a starbucks, and some mediocre restuarents. If I want to go to the movies or a mall or just a store to buy clothes its at least a 35min drive going 50+ mph.

Gas prices will never make me not drive, jut consolidate my driving more.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Volunteer drivers, but definition, have to continue to drive, or hang it up.

To play on the Lance reference, I would have to say "my left nut".

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You could always get a Smart car, I've been seeing those around a lot lately.

25. Keebler macrumors 68030

this is a good question and one i've been asking myself.

i work out of the home and stay at home with my kids so my driving habits are really up to me. i bought a toyota tacoma (pick up truck) back in October so i won't sell it now. my business expenses are low enough that i can keep paying, but i'm soul searching for that cut off point. i can also control when i drive so i won't get stuck in traffic wasting gas or avoid the shortest route to avoid lineups.

it's an interesting time right now b/c if oil keeps going up, will ppl really pay high prices for gas b/c lifestyles are different here in North America? ie. in europe, you can drive a 4 hours a cross a few countries....in some places here, you might not see a city or town or maybe just 1 or 2. Tons of people go to camps on the weekend, visit relatives across the country. Very different. This oil spurge could really change things for people.

cheers,
    keebler