atdhe.net was seized by homeland security

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ca$hflow, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Most people who imagine this world where the Internet is policed by the government , copyright is maintained , and the cyber-world is completely commercial have VERY little understanding of how the Internet actually works.

Yes, they could shut down things in Egypt. But Egypt is not the United States. In the US, there's simply no way to maintain control over people's access. And once people have access, they can find whatever media or content they want. Yes, the DHS can take control of a domain. Which means the domain can change 10 minutes later. Which it did to atdhe.me

There's no way to fundamentally control information in this day and age. Richard Stallman may be a bit crazy, but he is definitely correct about one thing: Information wants to be free.

Internet control is a myth.

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I don't get Fox in my dorm, so I used it whenever the Colts played an NFC team and the game was on Fox. Won't lie that it's wrong, but it sucks that Fox or the NFL don't have any kind of real streaming service on a game-by-game basis. So... yeah.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

does not change the fact that the site was breaking copy right laws and if they push the limits the owners of the site will be tried, punished and then have to make sure not to drop the soap.

They will also start going after the servers hosting them and shut those down.

I am trying to see what the point of arguing here. Those sites were breaking copy right laws plain and simple.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

And that is illegal...it really isn't debatable IMO either. I'd be pissed if I was making something and had it thrown around for free despite the effort, time and money that was put into with the hope/expectation of return.

5. Ca$hflow thread starter macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Why Homeland Security

Curiously I was woundering why Homeland Security was involved? Don't they deal with protecting citizens from terrorists? How does copyright debates have to do with terrorists?

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The OP was too busy editorialising, to provide us with said minor detail.

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

they seized a bunch of channels that were re-broadcasting copyrighted events.
    within hours they were all back on line from addresses abroad (including atdhe)

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because business is the most important thing to protect according to America. Homeland security has very far reaching authorities. Thanks Bush/Obama!

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not be surpised if they will start getting the IP to those sites banned and re routed. It would not take much for them to get most of the major DNS Servers in the US to no longer route to those sites.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

DHS is an agency of very broad scope. Folding FEMA into it, for instance, makes no logical sense. But I can see the relevance of IPR enforcement, since the core of DHS's charter is to collect and manage information. Note that IPR is specifically mentioned in Article I of the US Constitution, so the government does have a particular requirement to address its violation, which is done with the interests of the biggest or potentially biggest contributors given first priority.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Those tv channels are reaching a broader audience. More people, now, watching advertisements they wouldn't otherwise be seeing. Those local Fox and CBS affiliates shouldn't be too upset with the online streaming. In a way I'm glad these shutdown efforts will not succeed. Let's hope this forces the NFL's hand to end the retarded blackout policy. But it won't. Instead I'll be stuck watching the dumb national game and the dumb Cowboys. Wonderful. :rolleyes:

If anything, the NFL will demand exorbitant prices for an online streaming service if they're not doing that already. That's fine, too, because I'll simply stop watching. I'm gettin' bored with the NFL...

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Wouldn't that be the CIA?

13. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Isn't the FBI in charge of chasing after copyright infringement? There's a warning by them on every video tape or DVD.

14. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I think they do, but it's hundreds of dollars to stream EVERY SINGLE GAME. There's no "$5 to stream this one game once" kind of service. If there was, I'd totally do that.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The CIA is a DHS subagency, along with the FBI and most other national level investigation and enforcement agencies (the ones that have not yet been official privatized or contracted out). DHS was ostensibly built to coördinate these agencies so that they could work together instead of competing and hiding info from each other. It has also been an effective platform for giving the citizens the fear (as stolen from the late Hunter S. Thompson).

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Last I checked there were about 200 Federal Agencies that are related/under the DHS. That may have changed as some were split and some were consolidated and some were dissolved. Many have shared duties, which may cover broad and not well understood areas, such as 'unconventional warfare'.

17. Ttownbeast, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Not much of a big deal, I smell troll **** though.

That site has not been updated since October of 2009, according to the archives. and running a tineye search on the image turns up nothing but a bunch of websites criticizing homeland security without any reference to information which would substantiate the claims. The image is searchable I got 74 results on it--it's a very good forgery a few artists have purposely uploaded the html code to their own websites as a form of protest but it is not for real

So what did you do buy a dead domain and slap an official looking image on the index page? How many hits did it get you to show potential affiliates?

I can even find the html code for it on one particular artists web site of a dude who apparently is particularly good at forgery encouraging people to insert it in their index pages as a protest but no images linking directly to homeland security or any .gov that would likely have it up on their pages as an official matter for examples.

I am sure it is a hoax created by this guy: http://fffff.at/seizure-solidarity/

18. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

atdhe.net being taken down all started with Zuffa, LLC., the parent company of the UFC, threatening to sue Google over search results that linked to atdhe.net and other streaming websites. I don't know how that led to DHS seizing all these streaming websites but that was one of the catalysts.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Because the big businesses that those sort of websites piss off have the government in their pockets.

20. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

The site shut down a long while ago (last update shown was in October of 2009) according to the archive website wayback machine. But you know something funny, if you look at the badges in the image 2 of the 3 are fakes the only one that hits any .govs in an image search is the department of justice one the others are convincing forgeries that don't show up in any .gov websites but do show up on many sites critical of government. It's propaganda the OP is using to garner some sort of attention.

21. Don't panic, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:D what are you talking about?
    atdhe.net was one of several site seized and was definitively a working site until recently. Now not working anymore, unless you change the suffix from .net to .me.
    similarly, other sites with the same kind of content (streaming sports event from around the world) have been shut down, for example the spanish site rojadirecta.org (which was found to be legal in spain and is still working with the .es suffix)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/02/rojadirecta-org-seized_n_817458.html

the 'hoax' link you cite above gets its story from the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/14/business/media/14music.html
    about similar seizures in the blog/music realm a few weeks ago.

and here is a recent article from the LA times
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-superbowl-stream-shutdown-20110203,0,3598895.story

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

LOL wut? Have you been living under a rock?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I watched a good amount of Eagles games just a few weeks ago on it....

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I don't live under rocks but I do know how to dig under them pretty thoroughly. I think it is kind of funny that one of the sites that came up associated with the image search I did comes up for a guy whose main page tells you how to forge a barcoded card for a years paid pass to an art museum. Then when you isolate the badges used the image searches doesn't hit on any .govs except the one for the Dept of Justice. It's a nice little add on it even catches any alterations like this one:
    [​IMG]

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Too bad it's not an effective tool for research.