ATF Declares AR-15 and AK-style Rifles Standard for Hunting Activities

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.usarmy4life.com/atf-declares-ar-15-ak-style-rifles-standard-hunting-activities/
    about time
    not a fan of the AK in that regard :eek: . most AK's I have tried have a 3-4" group at best:( anyways here is something to complain about other than cheeto hitler :p

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Is that the same white paper written by the #2 guy? It's kind of unsettling that there are so many rules and regs that they put into place and enforce for no other reason than they can. Our wildlife regs change this year to allow more pistol caliber for deer rifle season. I'm going to get either 50 Beowulf or 450 Bushmaster chambered AR.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Because one needs all the firepower one can get for hunting ducks...

[​IMG]

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. chown33 macrumors 604

That's for hunting ducks wabbits ducks in Russia.

From Oregon.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That thing was pretty limited, needed to be rebarrelled often.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

It might last longer using shot with a sabot.

8. pdqgp, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

never mind that federal law prohibits using a rifle for migratory waterfowl. :rolleyes: example 1,234 of how you prove you've no experience with hunting or firearms.

But as a further FYI, most AR style rifles are not more powerful than the majority of the rifles used for hunting. Go fire a rifle with a .25-06, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, 7.62 x 39 mm, .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Winchester, 7mm Magnum or any other common hunting cartridge into a target compared to a .223 or .556 and let us know your thoughts.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

We should use it for all the Canadian Geese, a few shots from that thing and the amount of poo on the bike trails would pretty much stop.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG] you can chamber the AR in .458 SOCOM and even .50 cal BEOWOLF [​IMG]

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Recoil is gonna be a tad different. :D

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sheesh ... It was a joke. :p

In any case you're right, I have no experience. However, with respect to hunting I guess I follow my father's line, who used to hunt deer successfully with a bow (not even a compound bow): 'One shot, one kill. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be hunting live animals'. Having a rifle magazine with multiple rounds for hunting is what I don't understand, but then again I don't hunt so maybe there is some purpose that does make sense?

13. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

What if you have 30 ducks in front of you?

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

A friend of mine was such a bad shooter he would have missed the duck.

For perspective, imagine the sticks used to hold up a target. Imagine missing the target and hitting the sticks. Don't ask how but he did it.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My dad is legally blind, he has vision, he used to drive during daytime hours only until he voluntarily gave up his DL. I poke fun at him and tell him the best place to stand when he is shooting is in front of him. I can't remember exactly how many times he's hit the target legs at the rifle range, on the pistol range he has hit the twine that you tape your targets to.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't need firepower for duck hunting. I need firepower for turning intruders into new brands of swiss cheese.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I love bows :D
    [​IMG]

18. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It's easier.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

limited to 3 rds depending on what you are hunting.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This.
    If a Game and Fish officer catches you with an illegal magazine, you will be issued a citation(fine) and lose your game tag.
    AZ has limits on the capacity of all rifles and shotguns used for hunting.

21. juanm, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It's okay to have a small magazine, don't fixate on that. It's the range that counts.

22. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

Still looking for a place here in Germany to give it a try. :)

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

VulchR, there is always the possibility of a bad hit. A second shot from a repeater is faster than a reload from a single-shot. Quicker kill = less suffering. (Which is why your grocery store steak began with a blow to the head from a hammer or a bullet.)

As an example of the variables in shooting, my first effort at my then-new 500-yard target range at my house was with my .30-'06. The scope was zeroed for 200 yards. So, I held an estimated four feet above center for height and guessed at the wind and held two feet upwind of the center of the target for the breeze. My first two shots were a bit low but centered in the vertical. Either would have been kill shots on Bambi. Shots at only 100 or 200 yards? I call those "freebies" or "gimmies". :)

More and more hunters are using the relatively inexpensive--and very highly popular--ARs and AK variants in hunting. While the 5.56 Nato and the 7.62x39 cartridges are only of medium power, R&D in bullet design has made them quite useful at moderate range.

The old standard for a "deer gun" was for a capability in accuracy of a two-inch, five-shot group at 100 yards. FWIW, 90% or thereabouts of all Bambi kills are inside of 200 yards. So, with most modern rifles capable of better than the old standard, any half-way decent shooter can eat venison. Many brands/models of ARs are capable of 1" groups at 100 yards, even with iron sights.