Atheist Civil War: Angry Feminists Get Richard Dawkins Disinvited from Skeptics’ Conference

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Jan 28, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/...-dawkins-disinvited-from-skeptics-conference/

This is the video in question

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Awesome video. Of course the feminazis would be pissed

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I felt he captured their personalities perfectly.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Believing in nothing is serious business.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  7. macbook_21 macrumors regular

"We believe strongly in freedom of speech and freedom to express unpopular, and even offensive, views. However..."

We believe in freedom of speech, as long as you say exactly what we want you to say.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He's not that bad, but the approach is off. You don't have to antagonize either of those groups to acknowledge their lack of credibility on well... basically anything. I suspect it polarizes some of their initially sane members.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Dawkins is an idiot and he's sexist.

But if you believe in free speech not inviting him is ridiculous.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

There are elements of the left that conflict, leading to inward collapse. One is expected to take the hit for the cause and button their lip about it. Case in point is the Islamist's noxious attitude toward women and gays, and actually causing physical harm to women and gays, who must take a back seat and be muzzled while Islamism is in a worldwide rise, replete with terrorists among them, while said Islamists are under criticism by the right.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And the right is united. Which is why trump has 100% of the vote in the polls.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

Remember the manufactured campus rape hysteria? That's all but tamped down over revelations of roving gangs of Muslims raping European woman for real. Feminists have buttoned their lip for the cause.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

As has the gay lobby buttoned up over Muslim's creative and celebrated public square murders of homosexuals. Nary a peep for the cause.

15. bandrews macrumors 6502a

I really wanted to write some lengthy response here but couldn't be bothered as I knew it would fall on deaf ears. Luckily a journalist summed up my thoughts much more eloquently than I ever could.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/8210636

BUT

I honestly can't see how anyone can argue with what she has written. It is the epitome of reason.

I will never understand the childish, binary mentality of some people who instantly assume a small, vocal exception proves their point.

All feminists do not hate men.
    All Muslims are not raping terrorists.
    All Christians are not W'boro baptists.

But to be balanced, even liberals must acknowledge that:

Some feminists do hate men
    Some Muslims are raping terrorists
    Some Christians are as bad as W'boro Baptists

We do not live one side or the other of tribal lines. Pigeon holing and blanket generalisations dont solve any problems.

16. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Stop being so reasonable just stop it!

I think the issue is that the fight against racism and bigotry has been part of the left's DNA so long that many fall over themselves to avoid appearing racist to the point that balanced criticism of other cultures doesn't happen.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That doesn't actually dispute the point Eraserhead was making. Good deflection though.

18. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So they don't actually don't believe at all in freedom of speech and freedom to express unpopular or even offensive views. They only approve of subjective "approved speech."

19. bandrews macrumors 6502a

No they haven't.

Women want the discussion about rape but they don't want it hijacked by bigots who have suddenly become equality activists just so they can bang their racist war drums. And if the refugees were that keen on throwing gays off buildings, why not just stay in their authoritarian, socially regressive country?

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Juvenile video. Sorry to hear Dawkins felt compelled to retweet it.

People can be both flawed and brilliant at the same time ... like the rocket scientist who wore a stupid shirt. We can learn from both their brilliance and their flaws. The lesson I take away from Dawkins little Twitter fight is that we shouldn't let social media draw out our worst nature. Just walk away. Don't respond and escalate anger and stupidity. Don't unnecessarily add hurt and insult into a world that is already filled with it.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I think he had every moral right to make that video, the same way religious people feel they have every moral right to make videos telling non-believers they are going to burn in eternal hell-fire.

Same goes with these feminists. Telling me, the way I view women sexually is apart of rape culture. That's very insulting.

Religious and feminist groups are extremely vocal, and use worst tactics to get their point across. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Interesting difference is that for centuries religion had the power and acted as the oppressor while women were powerless and oppressed. Women are vocal trying to change that paradigm. And they have my support and sympathy in that effort.

Now somebody might claim that women won that fight and that society has moved beyond the need for them to be vocal about it. I don't think that is true, just as it isn't true that we've moved beyond racism and that minorities no longer need to be vocal about their struggles.

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Bullsh*t with that fluff speak. Islam is one of the largest religions in the world and controls a wide swath of countries. Feminism isn't women, it's an ideology that acts like its own religion and is used as justification for social precedents. They are both more than fair game for critique.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree. I'm not speaking about those women that are logical nor the issues that make sense. I'm speaking on those feminists that have created a culture that revolves around being unlogical and many times outright looney. IMO, there is a difference between the majority of women's advocates vs feminists.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The left is guilty of not throwing all Muslims into the same category when addressing the terrorism issue, unlike some (many?) of their GOP counterparts. Having the goal of communicating clearly is more useful than cutting large swathes of demogagary (sp?) that the right appears unable to avoid appealing to their base.

Just don't confuse the feminist extreme with equal rights and the abolition of double standards. In a rape trial saying something like her appearance was asking for it is inexcusable.