Atheist fight to have WTC Cross removed

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
http://www.today.com/news/world-trade-center-cross-fight-continues-athiest-group-appeals-ruling-2D79328902

Is it a religious symbol or piece of history? A controversy over a cross-shaped steel beam found in the World Trade Center rubble continues to rage.

A group called American Atheists will argue before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday that the cross does not belong in the private 9/11 museum, which will open on property leased from the government.

American Atheists filed a lawsuit in July 2011 aiming to prevent the WTC cross from being displayed in the museum, but federal judge Deborah Batts of the Southern District of New York ruled last year that the cross and the museum helped "demonstrate how those at Ground Zero coped with the devastation they witnessed." American Atheists is now appealing that decision.

"It's necessary to fight this because this is inequality on government property,'' American Atheists president David Silverman told TODAY.
Is it a religious artifact or piece of history? A court may decide.

In the wreckage of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, construction worker Frank Silecchia discovered the cross-shaped 17-foot-tall, 4,000-pound steel beam. Silecchia told TODAY that the cross comforted him, and it soon became a rallying point for first responders.

"I was already working 12 hours. I was quite weary and the cross comforted me," Silecchia said.

"I never stood here before any media and said it's about religion,'' Silecchia said. "But I say it's about faith — the faith that was crushed on 9/11."

"If you take the religion away from the cross, you've got scrap metal,'' Silverman said. "Just like all the other scrap metal that fell on the cross. The only reason that this cross is special is because it is religious."

The National 9/11 Memorial and Museum is set to open in May.

"To have a piece of the history that provided some spirituality, some faith, some respite in the midst of all this, if we didn't have that we really wouldn't be telling the story as it happened,'' museum president and CEO Joseph Daniels told TODAY's Katy Tur.
Am I missing they way this is reading, but the museum is a private owned museum? Granted it is on leased property from the government... so I have a feeling that is where the lawsuit is steaming from.

Thoughts?

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
What is their motivation for such abject stupidity??

The cynic in me wonders if this 'group' is funded in secret by the Religious Right, in an attempt to paint all Atheists in a bad light.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't want 10 Commandments on a courthouse or things like that but this is taking it too far, IMO.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
What is their motivation for such abject stupidity??

The cynic in me wonders if this 'group' is funded in secret by the Religious Right, in an attempt to paint all Atheists in a bad light.
Not sure the atheists need any help with that :). It is things like this that make them look bad.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh, please. These people represent Atheists in the same way the Westboro Baptist Church represents Christians.
So you're saying that if people start parading these people as "token atheists", I should start saying the WBC is mainstream Christianity?

Heck, it's even worse than that. Christianity supposedly has a book that tells you how to act. Atheists have no such thing.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yup...ALL atheists feel exactly the same way about EVERYTHING.

And since this group represents ALL atheists...well...

:rolleyes::rolleyes: <----Please Note!

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
why quote a post and not even answer it?

and as mentioned it should be a in a special museum with jesus toast and that kind of works of god.
it was answered, you simply did not like the answer.

if it is in a PRIVATE museum , who cares? it is as relevant at the Jesus toast.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
If religion can't discriminate, then it shouldn't be discriminated against.

Will the Koran be placed next to the cross?

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
The National Football League doesn't sound very private either.
Point taken, however when you look at federal museums (not sports leagues), there is a naming convention:
  • National Gallery of Art
  • National Museum of African American History and Culture
  • National Museum of African Art
  • National Air and Space Museum
  • National Museum of American History
  • National Museum of History and Technology
  • National Museum of Natural History
  • National Museum of the American Indian
  • National Portrait Gallery
  • National Postal Museum
  • National Zoological Park
  • National Museum of the United States Air Force
  • National Museum of the United States Army
  • National Museum of Health and Medicine
  • National Museum of the United States Navy
  • National Museum of Naval Aviation
  • National Atomic Testing Museum
  • National Civil Rights Museum
  • National Civil War Museum
  • National Electronics Museum
  • National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
  • National Museum of the Pacific War
  • National World War One Museum
  • National World War Two Museum
I could *easily* see most people thinking this museum is NOT private.

Don't people have more important things to be upset about?
Yeah, I really don't care about this, and I'm an atheist.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Don't people have more important things to be upset about?
I think it is fair enough to be upset that some people think that part of the WTC metal looks like a cross and is displayed in a museum is something that shouldn't be allowed.

I'm tempted to say that you guys should take the Queen (and an ESTABLISHED church) back. Maybe that way you'd become as non religious as us, but not worry about such nonsense ;).

That way you'd also miss out on Bush/Obama/Underwood as president ;).

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
I don't want 10 Commandments on a courthouse or things like that but this is taking it too far, IMO.
I agree. It's akin to asking an art museum to remove all the paintings of Christian symbols.

The 'cross' of steel is part of the history of the Twin Towers' destruction and so it should remain.

The fact that the museum is privately-run just adds to it.

I could *easily* see most people thinking this museum is NOT private....
I could as well, but that doesn't create a legal case. The presumption that the place is public or private is not enough, it must actually be publicly owned for the atheists to have a case.