Atheist iPhone App: BibleThumper

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GorillaPaws, Nov 16, 2009.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Thought I'd post a link to a press release describing a new iPhone app geared towards Atheists: BibleThumper.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Atheist are far too apathetic to pay $1.99 ;). The real money to be made has always been from christians.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

LOL, a new market angle! The christian bible is one of (if not the, too lazy to look it up) best selling books ever, so you might as well make the money from whoever you can.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Agreed on both points. I will wait for it to be free. :D Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I imagine the negative reviews will offer more pleasure than the app! I look forward to reading them.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I look forward to hear media coverage on this. I will not buy the app though.

6. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I actually have mixed feelings about this app. I certainly support anyone's right to any religious belief (or absence thereof), but this app is designed specifically to ridicule Biblical beliefs. If it were written to promote the Atheist position by putting forth quotes from prominent Atheists such as Dawkins, I would whole-heartedly support it.

I'm not saying I don't think it should be in the App store, but I'm still a bit uncertain on the idea to be honest. For example, would an app that ridicules the Torah or the Book of Mormon be considered appropriate? To a certain extent, the evangelical extremest Christians bring this upon themselves by being so irrational and by vocally trying to push their beliefs onto others. I'm just not sure...

I'd be interested to hear what others think about the subject.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha someone else that does this! One of my favorite procrastination pastimes is to go through Amazon and find a negative review of a Darwin or Dawkins book (or whatever). Click though their username and and look at what else the individual has left reviews for. Usually good for a laugh - there's some wonderfully entertaining crazy about :D! As well as some really bizarre books out there....

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wouldn't buy it either. What a waste of $2. Sorry- they aren't going to do well with this. It's a silly, nasty idea.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Honestly, I think it is about time that we are able to point out the ridiculousness and lack of efficacy contained within the Bible.

Would an app that ridicules the Torah or Book of Mormon be appropriate? Yes, as long as it is accurate.

For too long have we let the glaring contradictions and faulty arguments of these religions exist uncontested under the guise of respect of political correctness.

Oh yeah, I love doing this. It is funny how you will always find the usual suspects posting reviews for books on Evolution. With the same old tired arguments.

Speaking of Dawkins as soon as I graduate I need to finish his latest book.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The bible is an easy and common target, let me assure you that most atheists don't think any higher of the book of mormon (probably less) and the torah. Its all equally nonsensical.

As an atheist I don't feel the need to promote a message or rally troops under my cause. I will have a few laughs at what otherwise rational adults believe though.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah but- do you really need an app for that? Come on. It's just escalation and helps nothing.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I don't personally need the app, but I like the fact that is was allowed into the App Store. We will see how long it takes for the complaints to pour in and a series or removals and re-approvals there are.

13. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I certainly agree with this viewpoint. However I think there's a difference between rational argument demonstrating contradictions/inconsistencies, and the act of ridiculing someone else's beliefs (even if those beliefs are themselves ridiculous).

I guess, part of my concern is that the app doesn't include these things, so it's not representative of the Anti-religion beliefs of the Atheist, but targeted specifically at the Christian faith. In other words, would an app that has silly passages from all religious texts be more appropriate than this one (equal opportunity religious contradiction)?

You may be right about this. Certainly, Atheists have faced many challenges in American culture, and had a difficult time having their arguments and beliefs taken seriously by the general population or the media. And as I said earlier, the evangelical Christians may be deserving of ridicule more so than other faiths that are more tolerant of diverse religious viewpoints. I don't think I've ever read a blog comment that's been hijacked by an extremist Cherokee Native American vehemently preaching her beliefs to the dismay of the rest of the commenters for example.

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Why is it such a bad thing to ridicule beliefs? People do it all the time.

Just because it's a socially accepted system of bizarre beliefs, suddenly it's above ridicule?

Why?

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Bashing Christians and/or their beliefs is acceptable as they are the majority and it's perfectly OK to pick on the big guy. Bashing non-Christians and/or their beliefs is not acceptable because it's intolerant, and intolerance is Wrong.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Bashing anyone because of their beliefs, as long as those beliefs don't hurt on infringe on the rights of anyone else is not acceptable because it's intolerant, and intolerance is Wrong.

Fixed that for you!

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Free speech means nothing to you when its you they mock?

how...typical. :D

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm perfectly fine with free speech (which, as written in the Constitution, simply means you can't go to jail for speaking your mind).

Just because it's legal to say something doesn't make it a good idea. If your intent is to make or argue a point, fire away. If your intent is simply to flame or make fun, what's the point?

19. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

People can put whatever they want on their phone. I don't care if every app they have is something I would hate...as long as they keep it out of my face. All it takes is some basic courtesy like not playing your music loud etc. Most people wouldn't even think about what others are reading, playing, hearing if not for it intruding on their own peace or activities.

It's stuff you can't avoid in public I can't stand. If the world ever becomes like Minority Report with all that noise and targeted ads all over I would go insane.

20. awmazz macrumors 65816

How many of those are actual sales? Missionaries and Gideons give them aways by the tens of thousands.

Actual purchased books regardless of publisher or editions, personally I'd say the Dictionary is the biggest selling of all time. Add up all the Chinese and English and Spanish dictionaries ever printed in the world... you're looking at 2 to 3 billion easy.

Sort of like the most popular toy ever sold and is still #1 .. the ball.

Interesting question though. Apart from all the give-away-free religious books, Maos' book and the Boy Scouts handbook, the most published authors of all time for a single book are Agatha Christie and Tolkien. I wonder about Shakespeare though.

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Read the post to which I was replying. I was pointing out the ridiculous double standard. Implication was that you cna only pick on those more powerful than you.

Say what you want. Don't infringe on anyone else's right to speak their mind. However, expect that words may have consequences.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Exactly, we're too busy kicking ass by helping actual people with actual needs halfway around the world instead of converting them to some fantastical superstitious nonsense...