Atheist numbers increase in young Americans

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
This trend is being mirrored throughout the western world. As the negative propaganda surrounding atheism is challenged and the visibility of atheists increases it's becoming more acceptable to admit to non-belief. US youngsters are more exposed to their counterparts in other parts of the world thanks to the Internet. Also they have less invested in the faith-based lifestyle choice than their parents, so it's easier for them to reject it without regretting all the wasted years.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I agree, I hope one day that children brainwashed by religion are in the minority.
You'll find that a majority of people are christians in name just in case the story is actually true. Most have never read the bible, you'd think the most important book in the religion would be read more often by its followers.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
That's extremely disheartening.
Not at all. It means people are being honest about who they are. It doesn't benefit anyone for non-believers to state they are Christians just to make other Christians feel better about themselves. If you have faith it ought to be strong enough to withstand being the only religious person on the planet, if it came to that.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Oh I think you misread me. 20% of children being atheist is disheartening in that there is only 80% on the right track.
I'd much rather children be educated with good logical reasoning and critical thinking skills in their early years (resulting in atheism/agnosticism) and then making their own decision about believing in the unverifiable later in life.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'd much rather children be educated with good logical reasoning and critical thinking skills in their early years (resulting in atheism/agnosticism) and then making their own decision about believing in the unverifiable later in life.
A lack of reasoning and critical thinking is necessary to initiate the process, thats why they start young. Convincing someone of religion later in life would be about as successful as trying to get a 40 year old to believe in Santa again.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
We can only pray that Scientology becomes more widespread in America and decreases the proportion of atheists.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
It's actually the pendulum swinging. No great surprise really, given how the 90s and oughties were all about religious fanatacism and hedging one's bets, just in case.

It's great to see that fewer young kids feel a need to jump on the religious bandwagon, although I'd like to see a breakdown by state as well as by socio-economic numbers.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
In a nation so saturated with religious dogma - to get to adulthood without being brainwashed into one religion or another demonstrates philosophical maturity, intelligence and bravery. This is properly awesome news.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
In a nation so saturated with religious dogma - to get to adulthood without being brainwashed into one religion or another demonstrates philosophical maturity, intelligence and bravery. This is properly awesome news.
dj, I know we haven't interacted through PM's or anything, but I've read you're about to relocate to the US from another thread. I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences in the US about the population and the whole transition from the UK. I hope you have at least a little bit of time to post in the PRSI about what you run into in terms of religion and other social issues.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
dj, I know we haven't interacted through PM's or anything, but I've read you're about to relocate to the US from another thread. I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences in the US about the population and the whole transition from the UK. I hope you have at least a little bit of time to post in the PRSI about what you run into in terms of religion and other social issues.
I can't imagine leaving the UK to live here. Easy access to Europe and all, I couldn't imagine giving that up.