Atheists - does someone always talking about their religion bother you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlue, Aug 6, 2010.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've started working with a woman who is very openly Christian. I can usually just brush that off but she can't seem to stop talking about it and it's starting to annoy me. At first I listened and let her carry on but when I realized she was expecting me to agree, I nonchalantly told her that I was not a believer. She pressed me to know why (as if I owe her that) and I told her that I was brought up Catholic, gave Christianity a good try but that the more I learned of these religious doctrines the more I doubted, and that further understanding of science has also discredited it for me. I was very brief and breezy about the whole thing. I want to keep the peace so I have tried to leave it at that and move on.

She however cannot shut up about it. I'm constantly listening to her babble on about it and she even says "God bless" every time we part ways.

At first I just overlooked it as her being an annoying person but I'm starting to think this is a bit rude. I've told her I'm not a believer, why won't she let it drop? I haven't risen to the bait yet but I'm worried that I'm going to and she's really not going to like it. I could quite readily talk her ears off about my own beliefs (or non-beliefs really) and the reasons behind that but I'm trying to be respectful and friendly. Is is so much to ask that she do the same?

I find this pushy and hypocritical attitude of some Christians very irritating. If I were even half as assertive about my Atheism I'm sure she'd be rather upset.

It just figures that I'd have to get stuck with one of the rare religious nutters in the UK. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone else has been in a similar position. How did you feel about it and how did you handle it?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thankfully none of the religious people I know promote it in such a way, for them it's a private and personal thing.

Maybe that's just how she is though. Saying "God bless" when departing is what she does and it's probably deeply ingrained into her. I usually say "Cheerio" but it doesn't wind up the Frosties fanboys.

In that situation I'd just not talk to her and ignore her.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I know what you're talking about, being a very convinced atheist who has moved to Nebraska :eek:

The majority of people there are very religious Christians who also try to convince others of their religion. Don't get me started on the religious organisations and student groups on campus :rolleyes:.

Still, I don't think it's that annoying because I don't have to deal with them very often, or they are not as outspoken as your co-worker. If they are, I can usually ignore it.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL now you've done it. You've just become her personal project.

It pretty harmless but if it gets to a fever pitch and she's trying to convert you tell her you're going to report it to human resources. Otherwise if she just telling you about her weekend at church or saying god bless, there isn't much you can do about it.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Come into work wearing a burka. That ought to shut her up.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Her saying, "God Bless" wouldn't offend me too much. I suffer from terrible hayfever and the whole summer I get followed by a chorus of "Bless you" wherever I go… so…:)

But: If she is truly on to your back and trying to get you onside again, just tell her straight out that she is getting offensive and to stop the proselytising.

That having been said, this is happening in the UK? Apart from that idiot ranting in Oxford Circus I didn't think anyone else would bother. :eek:

Edit:
    Brings back memories doing student work way back in the early '80s…
    We had tapes back then — and *gasp* a Sony Walkman was a novelty. Anyway, one woman working there was a born-again-happy-clappy Christian — but one day she was looking through my music I had at work and she discovered: The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack.
    "The devil's music…" according to her. All kinds of weird stuff about hidden messages — the "Satanic Mechanic" really got her goat.

I was a lot younger back then and I suppose more forgiving, but if that should happen today my reponse would be far from mellow.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The more 'blasphemous' you are the more she will avoid you. Start out with saying "Oh for christs sake!" and "Oh my God!" a lot and take it from there. :D

If after a while she doesnt get the hint and you think she is being rude (which by the sounds of it she already is) then its your turn to be rude and come out and say "please stop ramming your religion down my throat. I'm not interested you stupid dumb ****!" Then say "god bless" as you turn ass up in her face and walk away.

:D

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It annoys me greatly.

I have a fun story, for the first time in my life, a couple months ago I met a distant cousin of mine who is probably certifiably insane. You don't run into fundamentalist Jews too often, but he's one. He was born and raised Jewish, then went Jews for Jesus for awhile, then went back to plain Judaism and we got into a religious conversation. It actually started off political, he couldn't believe that a Jew like myself would vote for a Muslim for president (you see where this is going...), then after refuting that nonsense, I said that I wasn't even really Jewish, I was Atheist, then that's when he went completely *******. He then asked my mom if she was OK with it, she said of course, and that my brother is also Atheist and my sister is probably a bit more agnostic, but married to a Christian, and then he really lost it, and to her face, basically said something along the lines of "How could you have screwed up so much to raise 2 Atheists and an Agnostic and then let her marry outside her religion?" He also started talking about how flawed America is and how great Israel is and that every Jew should live here, naturally, when I asked him why he didn't move there, he didn't have an answer for it. With someone that crazy, it's best to just walk away, which I did after realizing I was talking to someone as dumb as a brick wall.

We did find some common ground though....he's a Mac user :rolleyes:

9. Queso macrumors G4

Man. Those Mac users are really screwed up aren't they? :D

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then the next thing to do is to be clear and firm, but kind about it:

'Would you please mind not talking to me about your faith?'

You don't have to justify yourself or give any other reasons.

11. MotleyPete macrumors regular

You should just ignore her and take comfort in the fact that when Cthulhu's tentacled visage does finally rise from the deep she will be one of the first to be consumed by madness and chaos.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

I can really think about this in light of Mac vs PC as well. There are folks on both sides that will tell you how they feel no matter what.

Honestly, just ignore her or ask her to let it rest, as BV suggested.

I'm Christian and if a religious person of another faith kept talking about it, I wouldn't consider it push or hypocritical. Actually, I'm not see what is hypocritical about this anyway.

Nothing personal toward you iBlue, but it seems that non-believers get offended over this easily. Of course, I have no knowledge of this situation other than what you stated. I'm not living in it 5 days a week. ;)

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I've had Christian workmates try to convert me throughout my career. Luckily I'm now self-employed. :) When I was younger I was open to conversion and I'd go to their events and read their materials. It always came down to that leap of faith so I got tired of the bs.

After I became openly agnostic, it kept these types off my back but I learned that hardcore Christians can be very nasty and clannish. In retrospect I probably would keep my views to myself (haha) in a work setting and put up with the bullying. It should subside eventually.

EDIT: Who am I fooling . . . I wouldn't put up with the bullying for very long.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Blue, just tell her you would appreciate it if she wouldn't discuss her faith with you.

Thou shalt not steal. LOLz.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

16. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

OMFG!!! I seriously laughed out loud at my desk... oops

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ha, brilliant.

It only annoys me if someone tries to shove their religion onto me, I've found it's only Christians that do that too...

iBlue, just put up with it for a few more days, but if there's no let up, make it known that the constant push of her religious views onto you is affecting your ability to work.

Sadly you have to be polite as possible to her though, as in her eyes, she really isn't doing anything wrong, and it's just in her nature, she isn't trying to annoy you, it's just a negative consequence.

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm not saying all, but alot of Christians will try to convert you anyway they can compared to other religions. :confused:

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I think Christians get brownie points for trying.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Everyone says that Atheists get offended too easily over this, but you're in the majority. You might not be out trying to convert anyone, but you're a Christian so if someone talks to you about it, you're not likely to care as much. But to be Atheist and have Christianity shoved down your throat constantly, yes, it gets offensive. And I'm sure Christians wouldn't like it too much if they had Atheism shoved down their throat every where they went.

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Christian's are doing what God has asked of them. They are called to be Witnesses so don't blame them for trying. What you can blame them for is judging, or not treating others as they'd like to be treated. God's not a big fan of people judging other people. That's His job. Also, how would they feel when somebody from another religion tries to convert them? That's the Golden Rule. So here's a few Bible verses for them to mull over:

On Judging:

Matthew 7:1-5 (KJV)

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

John 8:7 (KJV)

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

On The Golden Rule:

Matthew 7:12 (KJV)

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Luke 6:31 (KJV)

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewis

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm generally polite and tolerant right up until I sense I have become, as obeygiant put it, somebody's "project." That's impolite generally, and utterly unacceptable in the workplace. I have, one time in my career, had to get management intervention to put a stop to one of those. I was very young and wouldn't have been comfortable being directly confrontational with an older, senior employee.

Being older and more confident myself now, I would try "polite but firm" first. Failing that, I would still talk to my direct manager and try to get him/her to intervene informally through the other person's manager. I'd only go to HR as a last resort, because then it becomes Serious Business. Paperwork starts getting generated, consequences meted out and so forth because HR doesn't know if you have a lawsuit in mind and has to err on the side of assuming you do. It could result in more reaction than you want.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is wise advice.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Either way, it needs to stop.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Make the theme from The Exorcist your ring tone.