Atheists Excluded from Mayoral Prayer Service(Non-Biased Article Now Included!)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Dec 28, 2010.

1. appleguy123, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Source
    Should Atheists be allowed at prayer services, or should they be reserved for the religious?
    Are Humanist words of encouragement intrinsically less valuable to a city than prayer?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Those poor atheists. They can't seem to catch a break.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that we should make odds as to what an Appleguy PRSI thread will turn into.
    1st: Theist neighborhood to samurai swords and the pope's bling.
    last one: Gallup poll to Noah's Ark
    this one: ???

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Politicians should not be leading prayer services, PERIOD. This mayor should be prosecuted for promoting one religion over others. It's in our Constitution. It's ridiculous that this is allowed. We elect representatives, not clerics.

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I don't get it.

Who would an atheist pray to? There are some who don't believe in a deity but believe in spiritualism/souls. Even so, why would they need to be represented? Why would anyone need representation, for that matter? If you wanna pray, then knock yourself out.
    :confused:

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's not really about prayer. I think that the point of group prayer is to inspire the people. Humanists can do that as well as theists.

7. leekohler, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey fivepoint- prove that you're a strict constitutionalist and oppose this. I won't hold my breath, BTW.

I'm sorry, but that is a BS excuse. Religion and government are not to mix according to our Constitution. They are excluding people with this.

Waiting for you to support the constitution, fivepoint.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't support this, but it happens. When it does, nontheists should be allowed to take part in inspiring people.

9. 184550 Guest

This was my first thought. Why would they want to be included in something they don't believe in?

This shouldn't affect them one way or the other.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- religion should never be involved in government- ever. You want that, move to Iran.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did you read the article? My position is same as the article.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

That doesn't mean the mayor of the city of Washington D.C. can't lead a inaugural prayer service. We should probably refer to the constitution of Washington D.C. to be completely accurate.

Obama put his hand on the Bible when he was sworn in, that doesn't make us "Iran".

Thats not what it says.

relax max

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can understand if they miss sending an out reach to them (at least the athies and argnosist) as neither of them do I see really have any real leadership in the area they could contact to take part in it.

I can understand the others they missed since not main stream. That being said those groups should step up and say "Hey we want to be included" and then it the job of the mayoral prayer service to let them in and apologizes for missing them.

14. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Had the group gotten what they wanted - an invitation to join - the article's title would have been: "Mayor Attempts To Force Atheists To Pray."

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I get that, but you are also accepting that it "happens". I don't. This should never happen. Again, this mayor should be prosecuted.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Of course this occurs to everybody.

But there is most definitely something here in which they want to be included: their community. The installation of a new mayor is an event to be celebrated by an entire community together, and expressing a wish that the community be prosperous and united is hardly exclusive to those who believe in a god. The point is not whether Humanists would want to pray as a Christian does, but the appropriateness of expressing such things, as an official state function, in a way that necessitates disinviting a significant minority.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Were it the only inaugural event, I'd agree. While I'm agnostic, the anti-religion thing has gone too far.

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Why is it anti-religion to want to participate?

Some religions do not technically pray in the way a Christian does, but instead meditate. Were they excluded? I would bet the organizers stretched their definition of "prayer" sufficiently to cover the analogous traditions of those faiths. What is at issue here is more the prejudiced belief that they are expressing something completely alien to atheists, and cannot find it in themselves to further stretch the definition to include that which stands in for prayer in nonbelievers: expressions of hope, compassion and encouragement.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BS- this mayor has gone too far by excluding certain people. This is a government-sponsored event, it should include everyone who wishes to participate. If the mayor refuses, the event should be canceled.

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I don't see how they are excluded ? Will there be armed guards at the gate with a "Theism scanner" able to detect non-religious folk and gun them down ? Of course not. If they want to go for the "community", they can just go. Why make a big fuss over a big pile of nothing ? I swear...

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I don't think religion has a place in the government, but can you clarify something, please? Were non-religious folks barred from being in the audience, or only from formally addressing the 'congregation'? (I'm assuming it was some sort of speaker-led event).

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not a pile of nothing. These people were purposely excluded and told they could not speak at a government sponsored event. That's a big deal. It's a huge deal. It's quite simply very wrong and strikes at the heart of our laws.

23. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Again, how were they excluded from this "prayer" service and how were they barred from speaking ? Of course, if you go to a prayer service and try to promote your non-belief, I'd kick you out myself and I'm mostly a non-believer. Way to ruin the event there pal.

If however you just attend, pray or not pray silently, and when invited to speak, you do speak if not of prayer or religious belief about something related to mayoral function, no one is going to give a crap about your being there.

No one was excluded, some people just like to play victim. It's a prayer service, of course it's going to target believers. Some of you guys are so dense and just like playing victim, it's amazing. Making a big pile of crap out of a non-story.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well given that a prayer basically communication with GOD why are they upset. They reject the notion of there being a God. It would seem hypercritical for them to be part of a prayer service.

25. 184550 Guest

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.