Atheists identified as America’s most distrusted minority

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't know how old this survey is, but just found it today and it's absolutely mind-blowing to someone like me:

<speechless>

http://www.ur.umn.edu/FMPro?-db=rel...ewsreleases/releasesdetail.html&ID=2816&-Find

2. Turkish macrumors 6502

People in this country put atheism on the same shelf as devil worship for some reason. One of the most bigoted and intolerant societies I have ever lived in, this US of A.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's kind of weird, because I feel the exact opposite.

Well, not exactly, but when you ask be for an opinion on the type of religious folks who answered this survey in such a way, then yes, I don't trust those people either.

And now nice is that: "We distrust Atheists even more than Muslims and gays! Yes, even more than gays and those brown people!!!"

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

How about a poll of 2000 people asking if they would leave their child alone with a Catholic priest?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I consider neoconservatives America's most distrusted minority. ;)

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm guessing that "sharing their vision of American society" is not something I'd want to do.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

A poll of 2000 people in a country with an estimated population of 301,904,000!!
    Not very conclusive is it.

1 person in 150,952 were asked!

I just asked someone in my office (50 people work in the room) who they distrust the most:
    Americans or Muslims.

He said Americans.

So there you go, My research is more conclisive than the other survey.
    1 in 50 compared to 1 in 150,952.

I deem that research utter crap!

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

in my (anedoctal) experience, atheists/agnostics tend to have, and especially practice much stronger ethical and moral values and intellectual honesty than most religious people.

much less room for hypocrisy, i suppose.

9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Polling methodology, if properly carried out, usually does fine with a sample of 1000 with a 3% margin of error, 2000 is an even better sample.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, I got all excited about the utter bollocks of it all and how someone will take it seriously that I decided to ignore all the facts.:eek:

11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm offended by this as an atheist
    People are really going to distrust people who don't believe in God more than some of the crazy evangelicals (no offense intended, thats just my opinion)

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Black gay communist atheists (must be a sh8tload in the US) better go undercover. Maybe they could add another question to immigration forms for everyone to ignore.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Burn the Witch!! Burn her!!

I couldn't care whether they trust me or not. It still doesn't make god exist :)

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Note that the results of the poll, as reported, don't account for the absolute percentage of people who express distrust of atheists. The results are reported on a relative basis only. So naturally the results add up to the U.S. being intolerant.

15. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, it's a press release of a study...

Feel free to dig it out. :)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of how the american education system has gone down the tubes. who needs math and science, eh?

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You can still believe in a higher power and not believe the teachings of organized religion.

I'm sure the church would label me as athiest simply because I do not
    trust the church.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

well, keep in mind that a good fraction of the polled ARE crazy evangelicals/other religious nutters.

in a country where a good half of the people do not believe in scientific evidence, it is reasonable to expect in any given poll an equivalent number of unreasonable answers.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He's Welsh and the survey "should" be statistically accurate as long as the samples actually random and the questions are fairly asked.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oops! thanks for that.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, exactly -- which does not report the results in absolute terms. Not that it doesn't still enable a bit more American bashing, which seems to be the point.

Will all due respect, maybe those who choose to be appalled by the "results" of the survey without having actually seen them, should do that deed.

22. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Meh, someone's gotta be the least trusted group. I'd rather it be me than someone else because at least I know I can trust myself ;)

23. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Er... not at all. I'm sorry that you have a chip on your shoulder today. If the study had shown the same thing about any other society, I would have posted it. It just happens to be the US... and perhaps you might be better served addressing the issue. I'm sorry it paints things in such a bad light to some of us... I'm not appalled, a bit stunned, perhaps.

Are atheists reviled in your society? Particularly in the Mid-West? I'm asking because I don't know...

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BV- you shouldn't be stunned at all- I certainly wasn't. Atheists have been demonized in this country since I can remember. It's definitely not a recent thing. Actually, I bet they're less demonized now than say, twenty years ago.

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

When this Mormon lady I work with found out I'm an athiest, she was shocked. She said she'd never met one before and started asking me tons of questions. Stuff like "Why have laws? Why live at all?".

It probably shocked her, since we'd been talking on breaks for a while, and she thought I was really nice and everything, then she finds out I'm a godless heathen. Haha. She still talks to me, so hopefully I've changed her stereotype of an athiest. People just need to sit down and learn that morals and religion aren't exclusive to one another.