Atheists Should Not Teach Math

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Aug 23, 2009.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.illinoisfamily.org/news/contentview.asp?c=34504

Facepalm of the Year contestant.

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

he should have the right of religion but not the right to influence to minors specially children.

I think teacher should be the most neutral person unless of course influencing them to something generally agreed on i.e don't do drugs

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

There is absolutely no evidence offered that he is communicating his views on religion to his pupils. Should all teachers now have to declare their righteousness according to the dominant faith of whichever jurisdiction they reside in in order to be judged fit to add 2+2?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well it's not like he said anything offensive, and I seriously doubt that if he had a Christian nuclear family based blog that no one would raise an eyebrow.

Thumbs up! and props to Poly.

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed, Poly sounds like a lot of fun. :)

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I agree that maths should not be taught by atheists. I also believe that theists should not be allowed to teach geography! ;)

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it is a parents right to say they do not want so and so to teach there kid.

The parents are not asking for him to be fired but requesting their kids be put in another class. Based on what I read in his online blog it is not surprising parents would not want him teaching there kid.

Forcing Atheist on students is the same as forcing Christianity

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's not teaching atheism in class, Rodimus. This is f***ing ridiculous.

BTW- the Illinois Family Institute is nothing but a few crazies. When the Prop 8 protests were held downtown, all 3 of them showed up. :rolleyes: A friend of mine and I approached them and talked to them. Wow- we're not talking a little crazy, we're talking serious mental illness.

9. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

He's posting on a blog quite apart from his classroom instruction, unless I missed the part where reading his blog was required reading for his math class ...

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

:D

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It would be refreshing if you could be bothered to read the piece before spouting your apologistic nonsense.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You're right, it just doesn't add up. :)

Personally I'd prefer an atheist to teach math. However thru the course of a school year the kids get to know the teacher, at least a little, and thats where an influence may take hold. And goshdarnit those religious folk have a right to be as religious as possible.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If someone refused to allow their kid to be taught Religious Education by, say, a Muslim in the UK I'd call them a damn racist.

The only possible exception would be if they were an Islamic fundamentalist, but if they were a right wing Christian fundamentalist I'd be just as worried.

15. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Whyever in the world would Religious Education be taught in a public high school in the UK or anywhere else? Beyond a comparative overview of religions in history, their teachings have no place in the public school curriculum. Besides, there's plenty of other topics in desperate need of teaching - logic, reason and critical thinking come to mind. ;)

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you understand different cultures? Religion is very important to a lot of people. It also is at the root of a large number of the worlds problems. Learning about religions also makes it less likely that you will be brainwashed by a particular religion if you have at least a basic understanding of how other religions work.

To be perfectly honest its disgusting that you are allowed to get out of learning about religion in the UK.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I did read it. I also stated why I understand some parents would want there kid to be in another class.

It is the media making a big deal out of nothing. The teacher posted it on his blog for all to read. Many parents do not this teacher teaching there kid so they request there kid be put in another class or not in his. Most good schools will just follow the request and say nothing because it is a lot better than it going into the media.

Do agree with the parents no. But I do feel it is the parents right to say no I do not want "this teacher" teaching my kid. They do not have to site a reason for it.

I would expect some people if they post things the other direction on a personal blog some parents would be offended and request they do not teach their kid. Again parents right.

Now if they wanted the guy fired that is another story and I do not agree with it.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about if they didn't want someone teaching their kid because they were a Christian, because they were a women, because they were gay?

Wouldn't those also be outrageous?

19. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

The teacher should be judged on the content of his teaching and only on the content of his teaching. That's all. His personal life is no one's business but his.

The constant bowing to parents makes school districts and teachers in particular powerless to do anything but the absolute minimum for children today.

20. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

No, it is not. The site quoted is the Illinois Family Institute, not "the media".

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Everyone has beliefs. Even Atheists have beliefs. They just happen to believe there is no God. You really can't separate a teacher from their beliefs. I don't even care if a teacher has extreme views on their religion, as long as it doesn't come up in the classroom.

'OK class. What does 2 Jews - 1 Jew equal? 1 better world!'

P.S. I don't want an American to teach my child geography.

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My RE teacher was a Buddhist IIRC, and a bit of a hippy, she had the most amazing taste in music. She was fired after someone high up found out she wasn't Christian, she was replaced by a Christian teacher. It's sad that some people are still so naive these days. After that I gave up in RE, and pretty much became a fully fledged Atheist.

I'd rather be corrupt and not believe there's a god, than be corrupt and still somehow I'm doing good for my lord...

Fixed.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not agree with it but like I said it is the parents right. and they do not have to give a reason.

Now the parents does not have the right to ask if the teacher is *insert blank* because that violates the teacher privacy.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And Octomom should not teach sex ed. :)

Now a parent may have a right to say, "I don't want my kid taught by a black person," in the sense that they may pull their student out of school and home-school or send them to a private school, but by what mechanism does the school have a responsibility to provide an alternative teacher in that case?

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They can request it(physically), but the school should shut down their requests. Thats exactly what they should do here