Atheists: You're on The List!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaptMurdock, Aug 30, 2011.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

And they say the era of McCarthyism is over...

Florida pastor wants a registry of known atheists:

I guess "freedom of religion" to these people means freedom to be a harassing schmuck to anybody who doesn't genuflect to your Flying Spaghetti Monster.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not long now until the looney Far Right in the US becomes the US mainstream…

Very scary.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The USA. :D

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's true. He's not too far away from Michelle Bachmann.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What shape cloth symbol do I paste on my coat. Are ghettoes planned?

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Generally the south.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

<------ I'm way ahead of you, I already tattooed my atheist symbol on my chest.

9. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Shut up, okay? Just...shut up! :D

Michelle Bachmann. Sarah Palin. Joe Arpaio. Fred Phelps.

The South does not claim any of these.

Granted, I could probably name twice the number of looney politicians just in my state alone.

In all seriousness, this won't gain any traction. The guy doesn't even have a physical church. It's a publicity grab for him. It'll fade in a week.

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Think you've got it bad? My home state (Texas) is home to George W. Bush, Rick Perry, and Ron Paul; just to name a few.

11. mscriv, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

* Bold emphasis mine

Please expound as to who "these people" are? I see a story about an extremist. Are you attempting to say this obviously "over the top" individual accurately represents others or reflects some common belief held by many?

I'm not following your insinuation.

12. MrMoore macrumors 6502

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We don't require one.

They are always out there, grinding their axe.

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You said it yourself- extremists, or fundamentalists or whatever you want to call them. There are many who hold similar beliefs to this crazy guy. If you look at the polls which ask how many people in the US would vote for an atheist political candidate it's quite shocking. I even saw people complaining Obama's mother was an atheist during the election! Nobody is suggesting all religious people dislike or even hate atheists, but a significant number unfortunately do.

I frequently take for granted that I live in the UK, where religion doesn't have nearly as big a role in society. Our political figures can openly be atheist or religious without much issue. The majority of people my age seem to have little belief in religion.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's you? LOL.....I thought that was a girl :p

oh wait, are you a girl?

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They can't be too religious. ;)

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No, just like I wouldn't want a 'fundamentalist' atheist either! Politicians should be religious or not quietly, not totally privately, but just quietly.

It's funny religion and state are separated in the US but religion plays a huge part in politics, but in the UK church and state are combined but religion isn't that important.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's right. Besides Alaska is the most Northern, Eastern and Western state in the Union.:p:p:p The South shall rise again. *whistles Dixie*

Anyhow, I'd like a peek at that list. Maybe I can have an intelligent conversation about religion without it turning into a "Turn or Burn" tirade.

19. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mscriv I really respect the way you handle your own faith.

But you must realize that this idea isn't exactly as fringe as it sounds. I think you could get quite a few of the Republican nominees to claim that atheists "lack American values" or that those who don't follow the Christian faith aren't "really American".

This guy is fringe but he's not nearly as fringe as he should be.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh for sure. He's not that far from them at all. That's what's really creepy.

21. remmy macrumors 6502a

Different style of Christianity? Do think that the Church of England is generally more forward thinking and open to new ideas than many other religions.

Of course I mean this as a very genaralised personal thought.

22. mscriv, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

There is a big difference between who you would vote for as a candidate and whether or not you think people should be "accounted for" on a registry. I live in the "Bible Belt" and it's no secret that I'm a person of faith. That being said, I don't know a single Christian who would support a registry based on religious beliefs or lack there of. The OP's article is from an atheist website and appears, to me, to be nothing more than shock news. It's no different from when an extremist whackjob like Fred Phelps or Pat Robertson says something dumb.

I'm just tired of extremist getting coverage in the media or posted about on forums as if they actually represent the majority. They don't and we've got extremist of all kinds, both religious and non-religious. Instead of allowing their misguided actions to lead our conversations and interactions astray how about we ignore them, thereby reducing their relevance, and actually focus on how people with differing views can come together for the benefit of all.

Bottom line, life isn't lived in accordance with what's in the news media, on the internet, or what you see in polls on X subject. Life is lived in your daily interactions with those in your community, your family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc. Instead of "believing the hype" and categorizing others based on what you heard or read somewhere, how about actually taking the time to talk with and get to know the actual people around you. Life is about relationships and when we intentionally and genuinely focus on them walls can be broken down and things improved.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Ask a few, something might turn up. But seriously, isn't the widespread idea that atheists aren't good people offensive enough? Not real Americans? Living in god's land? I've heard that I'm damned to hell no matter what I do on this earth so many times I've lost count. I'm sure others will agree with me here. For supposedly trying to live like Jesus, the most close-minded and judgmental people I know are Christians, by far. Ask any atheist whether the U.S. should outlaw religion. You'll get >90% "no" responses I'm guessing. Walk around the South and ask religious people whether the U.S. should outlaw atheism. I'm guessing the number to be higher than 10%. The difference between different viewpoints isn't the opinion itself, it's what people want to do about the opinion. The religious (a lot of them, not everyone) want people to conform to their beliefs and way of life. The atheists? Just leave us alone and leave religion out of politics and we'll call it even.

The Pat Robertson who is popular among millions of people?

Only extremists getting media coverage? You don't think Bachmann and Perry deserve media coverage?

That's not going to work, you know why? Because the hardcore Christians that are so prevalent in the U.S. will never respect someone who doesn't believe in god, no matter how cogently their reasons are stated. It's prejudice.

It's too bad that I'm speaking from personal experience. I know plenty of people who would otherwise be kind people but for their brainwashing into religious zealots which cause them to believe in hateful ideas.

24. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

I think this is ridiculous...
    [​IMG]

Once the gay marriage issue is settled, it's time for the next big thing: Atheist marriage. Allowing atheists to marry is ridiculous, it would change the very definition of marriage: a bond between two people and God! Bla bla bla bla!

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not surprised at all, I would like to see where Muslims fall on that list for comparison.

There are more Muslims in congress than Atheists. Granted, it's 2 and 1, out of 535 reps and senators. I believe there are more openly gay congressmen - that should tell you where atheists fall on the totem pole. We're below gay people who can't even get equal rights in this country because people don't like them for who they are.