ATI HD 3870 card with after-market cooler - no video

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CheesusRise, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CheesusRise macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I recently got an ATI Radeo 3870 video card for my Mac Pro, but like many was not happy with the noise it makes. Reading forums, I decided to replace the cooler with an aftermarket one. I got Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 cooler.

When I installed it, the computer starts booting up, I see the Apple logo and the "spinning wheel". But when (I suspect), the OS starts to load the graphics and wallpaper, the screen goes black and the monitor enters powersafe mode.

I installed the original GPU cooler and the card works, but it is too loud.

Any ideas why the card with after-market passive cooler would not be able to display video?

Thank you,
    AK.

2. TrapOx macrumors 6502

The Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 is a poor choice; its a passive cooler so it doesn't cool worth a cr@p unless you add a fan. The case fan alone isn't enough to cool that hot gpu and memory chips so the card is shutting down to protect itself from damage.

3. TimmyDee macrumors member

Sounds like it's overheating and shutting off to save itself. Did you use thermal paste when installing the new heatsink?

4. MacVidCards Suspended

This would be my guess too.

Be certain that the cooling solution contacts the die portion of GPU. (Shiny part)

It needs to sit totally flat on there and be clamped securely to it.

5. CheesusRise thread starter macrumors newbie

as far as I could tell, the cooler was totally covering the CPU. The heat sink came with a thin layer of some sticky solution applied to it. As far as I can tell it was not a similar thermal paste that the original cooler had on 3870. Do I need to add just a little bit more paste?

6. ellmanl macrumors newbie

Did you figure this out? I have the exact same problem.

7. CheesusRise thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I could not make it work with the Accelero S2. So I got Accelero Twin Turbo cooler and it works.