Atlanta Hawks Seeks Buyer after Owner Reveals Racially-charged Email

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Sep 8, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Donald Sterling, Ray Rice, Penn State, and now Bruce Levenson. Sports is taking a pounding today.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ba-teams-owner-reveals-racially-charged-email

No Ballmer for this one. Unless someone like a Dominique Wilkins steps up, I could see this being one more asset under Turner. But this race and gender relations are not looking good in US sports right about now..

BL.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Seattle needs an NBA team back in town.

*cough*

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

He pretty much said what a lot of people think and his white guilt got the better of him.

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

If that's trivializing, then people should check out the language of EEO forms out there.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Sounds like a business man trying to run a business. PC police need not apply.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

What he said really isn't offensive. The guy is trying to sell more season tickets and speculating on why whites aren't buying them.

7. iBanker macrumors regular

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Then he is basically justifying whites being racist and the need to cater to them, cause this problem doesn't exist in Bklyn(Nets) or Manhattan(Knicks) in NYC. Blacks scaring away whites, Seriously?

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He wasn't saying the customers are justified in feeling that way. He's literally calling out their racism:

But the bottom line is he's not selling enough season tickets, and he was told that whites 35-55 are specifically the ones not buying. What else would he think?

It's one thing to have a problem with those fans. It's another thing to blame the guy who points it out in a private email.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The Garden is in the heart of midtown. Pretty much racially neutral given it's commercial district.

And I can absolutely promise you if Atlantic Avenue looked like it did when I was a kid, you know, when all the ethnic whites ran to NJ, Staten Island and L.I., those Nets tickets would be collecting a lot of dust.

Neo-getrified Brooklyn has brought in a lot of young, educated, white money and pushed what I always knew as ghettos more toward the interior.

Also, he isn't justifying. He calls them out, and assesses the situation pragmatically.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

So, no white people go to Yankees games?

161st and River Avenue ain't exactly a mecca for "ethnic whites"....

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Subway is super close and people are migrating on foot in large numbers creating a sense of safety and comfort.

Edit: The black population of the NYC and the Bronx is much lower than Atlanta by percentage.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Isn't that the same with every sports arena? Everyone "migrates" on foot from the parking lot, subway station, bus stop, etc in large numbers "creating a sense of safety and comfort".

Frankly, the scariest part of Yankees games is standing on the platform with about 5 thousand drunk people waiting for the train after a game.

If the Nets were good, and in Brooklyn 20 years ago, people would have gone, no matter the neighborhood. Just like they go to the Bronx to see the Yanks play.

That said, I think you're confusing the areas that these stadiums are in with the people who are actually ATTENDING the games, which was was the email was about.

As gentrified as Brooklyn may be now, how many hipsters are actually attending Nets games? I think his point was that they cater to a younger, ethnic crowd and not middle aged white businessmen.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Explain Yankee stadium then. That's been in the heart of the ghetto for the longest.

There's always been racial tension of sorts in NYC, but never seemed to affect sales of any specific race in my 30 something years.

Why is nobody pressing about Hockey?

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You used Brooklyn as an example, which is why I countered with the Bronx. :D

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

When is the last time you've been to Atlanta? It's no NYC, I promise.

LOL. I'd say so. That's half the fun.

Debatable. This new found JayZ Nets fame is driving a lot of the following currently.

The problem is you an LIVEFRMNYC as transposing NYC acumen on the South and Atlanta. Not the same animal. And Atlanta is a hole.

I can't answer that. I don't know.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Why does it have to be the same animal?

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Been all around the world and there is no place like NYC. May as well be comparing Apples to mutilated goats.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Agreed, but it's not about comparisons. My question still stands.

I never lived in Atlanta but visited so many times and lived in multiple cities on the Florida panhandle. I even stayed briefly in Savannah for about 6 months.

I personally think the Hawks just have a lack of interest. Let Lebron play for them and watch how many whites flock to Hawks games without any concern about the atmosphere being too black. The whole blacks scaring white away is ridiculous.

I can apply the same thing to hockey. Whites are not scaring blacks away, blacks in general are just not that interested.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The Hawks don't draw for two main reasons. The first being that the Hawks, when at their best, are mediocre. Same was true for the Thrashers before they up and moved to Canada. In their best seasons they are middle of the road playoff teams and never have any players that would be considered a "draw". The Falcons have no problem drawing crowds (the Georgia Dome is right next door to Phillips Arena) and that's because they, outside of last year, have been pretty good over the past decade. Same for the Braves. When they are good they draw, when they stink they don't. The second reason the Hawks struggle is because of the growth of Atlanta over the past 15 or so years and that its become a melting pot of sorts for people from all over the country. Those people bring with them allegiances to their previous teams and the Atlanta teams can sometimes play second fiddle in their own town.

As for what the Hawks' owner said......do I think it was some awful racist remark? No. He was trying to find reasons as to why white people, in general, don't go to Hawks games. The reasons they don't are because of what I laid out above. The fact that he tried to come up with some convoluted reason like that as to why white people (or really just people in general if we're being honest) don't go to Hawks games just reinforces the general consensus as to just how inept the Hawks' upper management really is.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Atlanta Hawks lack the fanbase and the notoriety of the New York Yankees. I'm not saying whether or not the guy is right, but there are a ton of factors, and this speculation is not the same as the Clippers situation.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The immediate Yankee Stadium area is a lot safer now then it was 15 years ago. The bars are all packed with fans before the game. And the amount of police and fans in the area makes it a lot safer. That and back in the early 90's nobody went to Yankee games.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Huh?? That's not what I recall back then.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Before the Yankees were good, say around 94 they started to get good, you know the year of the stupid strike, (thanks Selig), the stadium was never full. Plus the neighborhood was horrible.