Atlantic op-ed: Don't let the FBI decide the election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Nov 2, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Interesting op-ed in The Atlantic-- more of an article, really, with history.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/dont-let-the-fbi-decide-the-election/506174/

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Amusing. The for-profit media* has been telling things out of context, regarding all major and near-major candidates, for some time. But that's okay.

* and nonprofit, there was a NPR article on social media I skimmed this AM that had people upset over and responding to what they perceived as "flagrant partisanship" by the piece, and citing how NPR should not be biased because all our tax money funds them so they have more than a mere duty to be impartial yet the article was not. I'll try to find it and will edit my post to include it if I do find it.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

"Free Press". I'm not sure what is "amusing", but, note that the FBI is in the list of "further-restricted" agencies whose employees are supposed to be extra-careful:

Source: https://osc.gov/Resources/HA Pamphlet Sept 2014.pdf

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

comey reported to CONGRESS, who he is supposed to report to, congress leaked it and even Obama agreed it was not a partisan issue.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

"Amusing" could be perceived in a number of ways. Not my problem right now.

As for "free speech", so it is okay for media companies to lie and manipulate? Must be hard to get at the real truth, then. That goes for any of us since we all, at one time or another, end up reading the same "free" source and unwitting spread it and/or inference from it. And that's where trickle down is real: Not about currency but about honesty, and ethics. Had the media always been unbiased and truthful we wouldn't end up with a country full of skeptics and distrustful people. ;)

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The FBI is not deciding the election. Hillary's actions are. Had she not set up a private server, the FBI would not be involved. All on her. Time her supporters accepted that 1) in the best case she had extremely poor judgement or 2) in the worst case she was trying to hide what she was doing. Either way it falls 100% back on her.

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I’ll neither defend nor criticize what Director Comey has decided to communicate to the public about his decision.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

He did not communicate anything to the public.
    It was a communication between one branch of the government to another branch of the government.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The FBI is only investigating the stupid actions of Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundations. Only Hillary decided the election with her own actions.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    He didn't communicate anything to the public originally, he sent a note to congress which was leaked and then sent out a memo that was also leaked. Now that Hillary is asking for updates though I hope she isn't going to complain when Comey drops the hammer on her.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The GOP made them do it! Or, something... :eek:

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Russians! Putin!!! Lenin!

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It was Russia.

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Sorry - you both quoted me - and I now realize I forgot to put an attribution with my quote.

It was Obama's press secretary who said my quote.

Not me.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I actually accept that and agree with it. Always have. Still, I think this stuff should have been dealt with more throughly earlier. Not drip drip drip. Not leaks. I am losing faith in the FBI as an organization. Not good.