Att 2-year iPhone 5 and leaving the country.

elypcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
So... I pre-ordered a 32GB Iphone 5 with a 2 year ATT contract, now I'm moving to a another country. What are my options? unlock_fusion?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you can prove you are leaving the country to a place where AT&T has no service, they will not charge you the ETF. So call them and explain the situation.

Comment

elypcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
If you can prove you are leaving the country to a place where AT&T has no service, they will not charge you the ETF. So call them and explain the situation.
I'm calling right now to explain my situation but I don't think they're waiving the ETF that easily, I do have a family plan with 4 other phones so I might have to tell them that if I pay the ETF I'm closing the account.

Comment

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I'm calling right now to explain my situation but I don't think they're waiving the ETF that easily, I do have a family plan with 4 other phones so I might have to tell them that if I pay the ETF I'm closing the account.
So you bought the iPhone 5 and in less than a month found out you have to move out of the country. Your company is either really bad at giving notice or you are making this up.

Comment

elypcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
So you bought the iPhone 5 and in less than a month found out you have to move out of the country. Your company is either really bad at giving notice or you are making this up.
Not a company, I just decided to get married and leave the states.

Comment

elypcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I just got of the phone with ATT and they did not waive the ETF, they gave me the option to transfer the account to someone else or to return the iPhone...

Comment

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I just got of the phone with ATT and they did not waive the ETF, they gave me the option to transfer the account to someone else or to return the iPhone...
why the hell on earth would they waive the fee for you?

Comment

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
8 year ATT costumer ...
You got an $800 phone for $299. The reason you got that deal is that they would recover the rest of money from you over the two year contract. In fact you got a loan and need to repay it. Take the phone back and be happy you have that option.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.