ATT 225 MB of data used in one day, can't figure out where it went

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EasyRider, Jul 5, 2011.

1. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

My ex just used 225 MB on data yesterday, and she can't figure out how that happened... is there any way to see what app used that data? Has anyone else had something like this happen... I never get unexpected data spikes like that.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Sorry for going out of topic, but...

If she is your Ex, then why do you care?

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:rolleyes:Just because someone's an ex doesn't preclude friendship or some other close situation.
    Back to the subject, is she using streaming music, podcasts, Netflix-type movie watching, push e-mail or something data hog like? Also, really heavy browsing can do it, but that's pretty obvious.
    If there's a JB program that monitors usage by app, I'm not familiar with it. You might have luck asking in the hacks section.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am still good friends with my ex and trust her complete and ask her opinion on many things. Just how our lives are going we did not work together right now.

It could be a delay in reporting and a batch hit it can lag up to 3 days or so for everything to get reported.

She could of download some things. I have an app on my phone that tracks data in real time and I have done 200+ in a day of surfing.

6. EasyRider thread starter macrumors regular

EasyRider

I care partly because she is on my plan until the att contract is over and I pay for it. And yes we are friends. She said she is not doing any streaming and when she does she makes sure she is on wi-fi. Does texting pics or videos go against data usage.. I think it does but am not sure.

What is the name of the app that tracks data usage in real time?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well I am on an Android phone so not much use there but was trying to help explain the data usage.

9. EasyRider thread starter macrumors regular

EasyRider

Or she doesn't know what she is talking about, again :D

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Exactly.

11. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

As a real world example, I used 90MB during a one hour train ride this morning. This was streaming audio the entire way plus some browsing.

12. Unplugged macrumors newbie

Yah, streaming audio can use a lot of data. I often stream for ~600-800mb per day (192kbps on shoutcast radio)

13. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I will never feel safe with that little data. I have 12GB of data with tethering and a $30 local data cap is I exceed that which I will never, LOL no one uses 12GB I think unless you use it as your primary net source.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There have been some reports of the iPhone sending packets back and forth to and from the carrier's (or Apple's) servers, I can't really remember. But it doesn't seem enough to trigger 225 megs.

Yes, texting pictures and videos takes up data because it uses 3G to send the media. The only thing EDGE can do is phone calls and regular SMS.

My guess is that she was doing some browsing or app downloading and the wireless was off by accident or a fluke or something.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sending a video could use a lot; pics not so much. Does she have push on and have lots of emails?