Att 2yr contract automatic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starstreak, Sep 17, 2013.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

Do if I goto the apple store, pay the $800 something for the 64gb 5s to replace my 5, will att still put me under a 2yr contract?
    They shouldn't right? Not if I'm moving the sim from my 5 to the 5s?

2. Lamarak macrumors 6502

if they let you pay full price for the phone, it will not reset your contract but still locked to ATT till you have it unlocked. Only resets contact if get any discount like price plus 250 partial upgrade. That would reset contract.

3. Phan0121 macrumors newbie

Buying an unlocked phone and using it with your existing contract won't be a problem. Think of it this way, I buy a phone tomorrow and get locked into a two year contract. Then the next day, I break my phone but I have an old phone laying around. I can call my provider and they'll activate that phone to the contract. I'm just kind of stuck because I bought the new phone with a subsidy I got for signing the contract.

A side issue. Does the Iphone 5 use a micro or a nano sim card? I saw on Apple's website that the 5s uses a nano sim.

4. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ok just making sure. At the moment, I don't mind being locked to att. But I could've sworn that's how I got locked into my current 2yr contract when I bought the 5.
    And I should, IF they have it in stock at Apple, buy the ATT 5s for the high price of $849 and ATT shouldn't change my contract.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you got locked into a contract with your i5 then you did not pay full price.
    You paid a subsidized price. That's how you got locked in.
    You don't get into a contract if you pay full price. Ever.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I hope you plan on selling your IP5 to make up for that 800 dollar purchase..

7. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I knew something didn't sound right. But oh well now. Just for kicks, I pulled up the receipt. Sept 12,2012. $849.99+$40tax. Checking ATT, my contract ends Sept 12,2014. BUT while I was there (on ATT site) it does say I can upgrade my phone, but doesn't show the 5s price yet, so I can't tell if its offering the full discount, or just a partial.

----------

Yup. Just as I did with the 4s and the 4 before that. :)

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If you're staying with AT&T, why buy the phone outright? Do you leave the country often and need your phone unlocked?

It's not as though they lower their monthly rates if there's no subsidy.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On your att phone dial *639# and hit call.
    You will receive a text message with your upgrade eligibility and date.
    If it says congrats your upgrade eligible you are ready for a full upgrade and you are not under contract.

10. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: And for once, ATT didn't screw me over... While I was on ATT, it asked if I had any questions, I explained my contract, and they changed it. They said it was in error. Sweet! How was that? I never had ATT help so fast and in MY favor before.

I'm still not going to get locked into a contract. At least not for the 5s. I keep looking at my wife's android with the LARGE screen. I'm hoping the iPhone6 will have a 5in screen. Doesn't need to be a phatphone size, but getting older, this screen is getting harder to read.

----------

Yes. I used to. Back when I had the 4 to 4s, but haven't left recently. And I hated the network here in Hawaii, but they vastly improved the coverage and added LTE.